Ford Transit Connect Forum

Cabin Air Filter Location and Maintenance

leisurebob

Does anyone out there know how to remove and replace the cabin air filter in the Transit Connect? Supposed to be inspected every 7,500 miles and changed at 15,000 miles. I typically do my own routine maintenance work but there seems to be no help from Ford for doing basic maintenance short of buying a shop manual.

Thanks for your help!

Does anyone out there know how to remove and replace the cabin air filter in the Transit Connect? Supposed to be inspected every 7,500 miles and changed at 15,000 miles. I typically do my own routine maintenance work but there seems to be no help from Ford for doing basic maintenance short of buying a shop manual.

Thanks for your help!

I HAVE A COPY OF THE SERVICE MANUAL AND THE ONLY LISTING FOR A CABIN AIR FILTER IS IN THE MAINTENANCE SECTION WHERE IT SAYS TO CHECK/CHANGE CABIN AIR FILTER EVERY 7500 MILES ( IF EQUIPPED). THERE IS NO OTHER REFFERENCE. I LOOKED IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT , UNDER THE COWL, AND BEHIND THE GLOVE BOX. I DON'T THINK THERE IS ONE, I HOPE SOMEONE CAN PROVE ME WRONG, I AM ALSO A MAINTENANCE FREAK.

WOODY

Edited by JWWOODY

Barring evidence to the contrary, we shall assume there is no cabin air filter. I had expected that the Transit Connect would have one. Thanks for checking the manual and sharing my search on the vehicle.

With appreciation,

Bobnon-filter

Woody,

Today, I again looked for a cabin air filter. On a hunch, I removed the passenger side cowling just below the windshield. Taking out 6 screws will allow the black plastic cowl to be removed. Voila! There in view is a filter-like device, but not a filter, I will call a non-filter. After trying to remove the non-filter and being unsuccessful, I took out 2 more screws holding a metal bracket just below the windshield. With that bracket removed, the non-filter can be readily removed. It is about the size of a cabin air filter but without the filter media. It is made out of plastic with large rectangular openings about 1/4" square. Adjacent to the right side of the non-filter is a screened opening to the driver side cowl volume. It is surrounded by a rubber gasket material and can be removed. The screen openings are also large, larger than in window screen material. On the driver side of the non-filter is another rubber gasketed device but this one is solid aluminum rather than screen material. It is meant to block air flow from that direction. Consequently, all the air entering the non-filter must come from the driver side cowl volume.

This answers a few questions but begs a number of other questions.

I checked with RockAuto, a filter supplier I have previously used to see if they have cabin air filters for the Transit Connect. They do list a cabin air filter for these vehicles. It would seem possible that a cabin air filter could be procured that would replace or be installed inside the non-filter. For some reason, Ford declined to install a filter in this area where a filter could be logically placed.

I have taken several photos of this arrangement and will try to figure out how to upload them to make them available. Photo 00 shows the opening with the cowl removed. You can see the non-filter below the black bracket. Photo 01 shows the screen on the driver side of the non-filter. Photo 02 give another view of the screen and non-filter. Photo 03 shows all the parts removed including cowl, metal bracket, non-filter, gasketed screen, gasketed aluminum air blocker and fasteners. Photo 04 shows the opening with all parts removed. Photo 05 shows another view of the area with all parts removed.

Curious!

post-521-070526700 1277945683_thumb.jpgpost-521-045774600 1277945701_thumb.jpgpost-521-036497900 1277945716_thumb.jpgpost-521-014436200 1277945738_thumb.jpgpost-521-057941200 1277945780_thumb.jpgpost-521-003849000 1277945802_thumb.jpg

Bob

BOB; THANKS FOR THE INFO, YOU HAVE RAISED MY CUROSITY. THE AUTO SUPPLIERS SHOW A CABIN AIR FILTER RECTANGULAR IN SHAPE POSSIBLY THE SIZE OF THE "NON FILTER". THEY ARE NOT THAT EXPENSIVE. I AM GOING TO TAKE THE COWL OFF AND SEE FOR MY SELF. MAYBE THEY DON'T INSTALL ONE BECAUSE IT IS TO COMPLICTED AND TIME CONSUMING TO CHANGE.

THANKS AGAIN;

WOODY

• 5 months later...

I do all of my scheduled maintenance so today when I was picking up the oil filter I picked up the cabin filter thinking its about time to replace it. I was surprised to find that like Bob has mentioned Ford neglected to install a filter. The black plastic non filter has to be removed and replaced with the actual cabin air filter. The filter is a very good tight fit and not a real big job to replace it when need be. I bought mine at the local auto parts store for like 13 Bucks it's a good brand WIX so figured why not have one rather then a molded piece of plastic doing absolutely nothing in the way of filtering the cabins air.

Thanks for the awesome detailed post Bob!

The Transit Connect is based on the C170 platform, same as the Mk. I Ford Focus (and still the current North American Focus). Meaning the Transit Connect has all the provisions for a cabin air filter just like the Focus did/does. I used to have a 2002 SVT Focus, a common "mod" on the early Focus was to crack open the cowling and install the missing cabin air filter. Ford decontented the Focus and apparently, the Transit Connect, when bringing it to the North American market to save some money.

FWIW I have also installed a cabin air filter in the Transit, come spring time it is very much worth it to not have yellow pollen all over the interior. The Purolator part # is C25387 IIRC.

I've had two cars on which I've had to degunk the heater cores of debris from Cottonwood trees. On the first one, I had to resort to use of a WATER PIK, in the winter, in the old unheated garage, because almost no air was getting through. So, this news of an available air filter is indeed good news.

• 9 months later...

hi can anyone help me!! i keep getting water in my passenger side foot well and ive done a few test and i believe the water is coming in from the pollen filter!! does anyone know how i can overcome this problem??

does the pollen filter suppose to have a lid on it??

or should you be able to see the actual filter??

thanks dom

• 1 year later...

Hey Dommy, Ken here.I faintly remember TSB info about maybe your leak. My rearmost dome light was wet. I have some friendlys at the Ford dealer that ran leak info for me. Third break light ,rear door gaskets,and I won't sware to it but something in the cowl area. Check it out.

• 3 years later...

I don't have my TC yet, but if the cabin air filter layout is anything like the MK3 Focus, the filter is in a rectangular box near the left leg area of the passenger side dash/console, below and to the left of the glove box.  It's a PITA to access and remove, bu there are a few tricks on the Focus Fanatics forum and YouTube.