Ford Transit Connect Forum

Cargo Mat for Van Models

windguy

This question is for the van model owners that have a black plastic mat in the cargo area.

I'm assuming this is installed in Maryland when they convert the van from passenger to cargo, taking out the seats and belts. The mat is really spongy. reaching underneath, it has some thin foam attached to the underside. In many places there is no backing so if you press down it sinks a lot. just a really crappy solution.

There are recessed areas for the cargo tie-down d-rings, which don't really lie flat. very stiff to move.

The number one issue I have is the mat is really tacky, kind of sticky over the entire area. I tried regular water on a rag to remove and then a degreaser in one area, but neither worked. It seems more like an adhesive residue. Anyone else have this issue or a remedy? I know once I get beach sand in there it's going to be a mess to remove. Goof off is good at removing adhesive residue but that's a large area to clean. What's odd is that you can almost see a pattern to the tacky spots. Is it possible that they laid down a template then sprayed this on so that the flooring wouldn't be slippery to remove liability in case some cargo slid forward if braking hard? just a thought.

What's underneath this mat? I guess it would the regular flooring that's in a wagon/passenger model less any added carpet. not sure.

Has anyone tried to remove it?

I plan on putting a more rigid surface down, like plywood and then perhaps cover it with indoor/outdoor carpeting. Was wondering if it was better to remove this first or just lay the plywood right over it. Seems like it's only being held in place by the d-rings and tucked under the edges of the trim all around. Leaving it in place would provide a good moisture barrier.

thanks

Edited by windguy

thanks for the link Carb28.

On page 11, they show the detail of the flooring under the mat between the sliding doors.

Anyone know what "storage" means as shown in the detailed drawing?

the mat really compresses in so many areas since there is nothing backing it up.

I'd really like to know if someone has removed this mat and how they did it.

Still need to figure out a way to get rid of the tacky feel until I put something on top to cover it.

Edited by windguy

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to stop by a local dealer and check out the floor mat in another cargo TC. The mat was equally tacky to the touch, just like mine. I'm starting to think this is added to prevent things from sliding forward. For me, it doesn't feel right but I haven't pursued a way to clean it. I think the whole mat design is pretty poor in general because it doesn't have a solid feel underneath and compresses easily in many areas, not very industrial or long lasting.

I also looked at a wagon model to check out the flooring in the cargo area. I like the carpeting material used. I also made an interesting discovery, which is shown in the detail area on the diagram on page 11 (attached to this post), but it didn't make sense to me without seeing it. In the cargo van, there is a step up in the flooring behind the front seats, about 6 inches. In the wagon model, the flooring under the front of the middle row seats is on the same level as the front seats. There is a step up behind the middle row so the flooring under the third row seats is higher. I believe this is done because underneath is the gas tank and spare tire. So when converting a wagon to a cargo van at the Maryland processing facility, not only do they remove the windows (if required), rear seats and seat belts. they also add a step up platform so that the cargo area is all one level. There are two different size platforms for SWB and LWB. Makes sense except this area could be better utilized as a storage area or compartments, depending on how you use the van. I'm still not sure why the diagram says "storage" for these added platforms since the mat covers them up. I'd love to stash things like jumper cables, tools, emergency supplies that I wouldn't need every day. I"m guessing that's about 5 cu-ft of storage area. Anyone else make this discovery and have any thoughts on it?

post-4138-0-73489100-1422251835_thumb.jp

Edited by windguy

............... So when converting a wagon to a cargo van at the Maryland processing facility, not only do they remove the windows (if required), rear seats and seat belts. they also add a step up platform so that the cargo area is all one level.

The chicken tax thing and converting wagons to vans was only on the one built in turkey

the 2014 and up connects come as a van or a wagon with no conversions done in Maryland any more . The US gov. made them stop doing that .

For example, Ford recently had a conflict with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection in regard to its Transit Connect. Ford used to build it in Turkey as a passenger vehicle (to avoid being defined as a "truck" and having to pay the 25 percent tariff) with rear windows, seats and seatbelts. Ford then shipped the Transit Connects to a facility in Baltimore where workers removed the rear window, seats and seatbelts and turned them into cargo vans. This strategy worked for years and saved Ford thousands of dollars per imported truck. Then customs stepped in and "requested" Ford stop. Now Ford has a new Transit Connect van, made in Spain, that adheres to the letter of the existing law.

source: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/04/current-negotiations-could-end-chicken-tax.html

Edited by mustang

@mustang - thanks for sharing that. This is the first I've heard that Ford has stopped doing this.

On my 2015 Cargo van, the rear black panels on both sides have a cut out for the seat belts on the top part. looks silly.

I would have thought Ford would at least have a plug to cover them up.

But if this is leaving the factory as a cargo van and not a wagon, then it's even more strange.

I can slide my hand just a little ways under the platform and I can feel the carpet continue back below it.

I have a feeling this carpet goes all the way back just like on a wagon model.

I like being able to store items behind the seat but the platform is right up against the seat back unless you have the seat moved pretty far forward.

I'm going to peel back this cargo mat one of these days. I need to buy a T50 socket bit (I think this is the right size) to remove the D-ring tie downs (4 of them).

I can slide my hand just a little ways under the platform and I can feel the carpet continue back below it.

I have a feeling this carpet goes all the way back just like on a wagon model.

I like being able to store items behind the seat but the platform is right up against the seat back unless you have the seat moved pretty far forward.

I'm going to peel back this cargo mat one of these days. I need to buy a T50 socket bit (I think this is the right size) to remove the D-ring tie downs (4 of them).

the same d rings on the floor will also bolt to the rear cargo walls in like 6 or eight different spots . I've added 4 xtra to mine . 2 on each side wall and the 4 original ones on the floor gives lots of options for tie downs for cargo .

They are like 20 something bucks each and come complete with all hardware ready to bolt down. Mines got the silly slots inthe plastic panels too.The drings are part # 550a74

the carpet only goes back to where the 2nd row seat would be in a wagon . the rest of the van is the floor behind the add on pc . in your diagram

the carpet is #13000 in the below diagram

#13046 is the vinyl floor covering

untitled_zpskrxm1dqo.png

Edited by mustang

@mustang, thanks for the additional info and parts diagram.

Is it a T50 bit used for the D-ring tie-downs?

About how long are the bolts?

I'm assuming there isn't a nut on the other end but just a threaded hole on the frame.

I'm assuming that once those four D-rings are removed, there is nothing else holding the vinyl mat in place other than being tucked under some trim molding.

I really want to lift that mat up and see what it looks like underneath and explore options for adding storage compartments, if possible

thanks!

@mustang - I not 100% convinced my cargo van didn't start out as a passenger model.

the threaded holes on each side of the van where the seat belt would attach to the frame appears to have been used compared to other threaded holes that haven't been. the paint around the hole shows some wear like a washer was used and perhaps was touched up with paint. hard to tell.

I'd be curious to know for sure that this conversion is no longer happening.

Edited by windguy

As per Automotive News, 11/18/2014....Ford’s Transit Connect, manufactured in Spain and shipped to the United States as a passenger vehicle, comes with rear seats, seat belts and windows. Once they land at the port in Baltimore, Ford converts about 70 percent of them into cargo vans by removing the seats, windows and seat belts. It is the same strategy Chrysler is gearing up for now with the ProMaster City small van, which is built in Turkey as a passenger vehicle.

Mustang, none of us, myself included, get all our posts correct! Keep posting. We need all the technical posts we can get on the 2014-2015 Transit Connects.

the same d rings on the floor will also bolt to the rear cargo walls in like 6 or eight different spots . I've added 4 xtra to mine . 2 on each side wall and the 4 original ones on the floor gives lots of options for tie downs for cargo .

They are like 20 something bucks each and come complete with all hardware ready to bolt down. Mines got the silly slots inthe plastic panels too.The drings are part # 550a74.

Could you post a couple pics of the sidewall mounted rings? I'm thinking about if it's possible to add these to the wagon version and wondered about their exact location.

As per Automotive News, 11/18/2014....Ford’s Transit Connect, manufactured in Spain and shipped to the United States as a passenger vehicle, comes with rear seats, seat belts and windows. Once they land at the port in Baltimore, Ford converts about 70 percent of them into cargo vans by removing the seats, windows and seat belts. It is the same strategy Chrysler is gearing up for now with the ProMaster City small van, which is built in Turkey as a passenger vehicle.

Mustang, none of us, myself included, get all our posts correct! Keep posting. We need all the technical posts we can get on the 2014-2015 Transit Connects.

thanks for posting that. I'd love to see a video of them making the transformation and/or a list of changes they actually make in the conversion.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, after removing the seats they add back the platform and then obviously the cargo mat and four d-rings.

I don't believe it, got a link to that story dated 11/18/2014 ?

if they were wagons converted to vans they would have to have an insert added to where the rear side window used to be and trust me , my van is one pc unibody in that section there is no panel added there .

It's never had a hole there for a window .

see pic

window_zpspwloxhmk.jpg

and none of the places where a seat belt would be have any marks at all where a belt would be attached .

Every article I've ever seen about the chicken tax was on the Turkish built connects , not the valencia vans.

Edited by mustang

@mustang, I was under the impression that this panel was also converted until I looked at my van and I'm in agreement that this part is not altered in processing. I think the windows they remove are the windows on the slider and rear doors. My van looks identical to yours so I believe no glass was changed on them but don't know for sure since the slider windows are static. But if you look at a cargo van without windows, they add a panel where the glass goes. Very easy to do at a processing facility. I think that would convince you that this is added later on and not at a factory. Take a look at the threaded holes above the slots where the seat belts would go and you can see the hole was used and not factory fresh. It's no big deal but more of a curiosity thing. It's a great van either way and I'm totally stoked to have it.

BTW - how are you going with all the snow? My mom's in NH (more inland) and she said she hasn't had that much snow this winter so far. lucky for her.

Edited by windguy

Could you post a couple pics of the sidewall mounted rings? I'm thinking about if it's possible to add these to the wagon version and wondered about their exact location.

they screw in where your seat belt mounts are in your wagon ...................

Wagons have opening windows in the rear sliding doors vans have fixed glass .
also the quarter panels are different in vans or wagons see diagrams from parts catalog below .

Also in the parts catalog there are different floor pans for the van vs the wagons in both LWB and swb models , and the kombi van has an even different floor pan .

these are the main body parts that a dealer or bodyshop would order if you got in an accident . They would have to be building uni bodies in maryland to get around the tax . and if thats the case there would be no tax as the van would thus be maufactured in the USA .

I did my homework before I bought .
there aint no way ford is doing this much work in a warehouse in baltimore .

Theres also a reason the gutted van costs about the same as a finished wagon , us van owners are ultimately the ones paying the chicken tax , as the wagons don't have the tax.

RenderIllustration.ashx_zpsute4gy84.jpgno%20window_zpsbtvu8lo7.jpg

Edited by mustang

@mustang, I'm pretty sure that there is a different body style for vans vs wagons so I'm in agreement there, but all come with an open panel for the window area on the slider so it's the same part. Then the wagon models are finished with the movable window and the van models are finished with a static glass panel at the factory. In Maryland if the slider glass wasn't an ordered option, like you and I have, the window is removed and a blank panel is glued on and then water checked for leaks. I think I read that somewhere. One poster on this forum had commented that he found broken glass around the cargo mat in his van. Perhaps that window didn't come out very clean. Not sure how the back windows are handled. It would be nice if we could get a insider at Ford to confirm what actually happens rather than us guessing, but it is fun to toss around theories.

glad you didn't get too much snow. good luck with the next storm heading your way this week.

t-50

The Nissan NV-2000 is a lot cheaper than a connect , why you ask ?

They are made in US and no tax .

US customs MADE ford stop this run around on the chicken tax . You can't screw with the US customs office.

Theres also a reason the gutted van costs about the same as a finished wagon , us van owners are ultimately the ones paying the chicken tax , as the wagons don't have the tax.

@mustang, I'm pretty sure that there is a different body style for vans vs wagons so I'm in agreement there, but all come with an open panel for the window area on the slider so it's the same part. Then the wagon models are finished with the movable window and the van models are finished with a static glass panel at the factory.

Try again , there is 16 different sliding doors in the parts catalog for the different models .