Ford Transit Connect Forum

Cargo Mat for Van Models

windguy

@jrm223 - thanks for posting. I wasn't sure if you were going to post about this so I add a post and link to your gallery in the other storage thread

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/3619-storage-under-the-lwbs-load-floor-extension/

many thanks for providing pics and info on your exploration. many of us are interesting in capturing this unused space.

what do you plan to do next for creating a storage area?

my initial thoughts were to replace the step molding with the one that comes with the wagon model since it has a lower step and create some type of access door on each side. I'd also like to have some open space behind the seats for stashing things. With my driver's seat all the way back there's no room between the seat back and the start of the platform. I'm not sure you need the platform to come as far forward as it does now for my use. Can't really figure this out until everything is removed.

please keep posting as you make more mods.

• 9 months later...

First whats a chicken tax? Our van is 2011 transit connect xlt. according to etis it was made in Turkey. It had the shelves, divider that are coming out.. We would like to put a removable back seat right behind the front ones or even just a single seat but we would like to make it so it can be removed when we camp. If this vehicle came from turkey with seats in it, could there be the mounting area under the matt or something already installed so we dont have to start drilling holes where we dont know what we are doing? Havent looked under mat yet as we dont have the partition out yet, just the shelving.
 Appreciate any help anyone can give us.

Passenger vehicles have a much lower tariff so the Transit Connect vans come in with some side windows and a second row of seats. After they arrive the seats and windows are stripped   and then the vehicles move on.  Have not seen the interior from the work version to know what it is or how it was installed.

There must be some holes some where.

Edited by G B L

I have two rear (3rd row), leather bucket seats and seat belts for sale from a new Titanium TC.  See ad in the classifieds.  You might have suitable mounting holes for them, I have no clue.  But the I provided the measurements of the mounting a holes. It could be you just need make an adapter plate to attach them down to any existing mounting holes you have.

Link to ad:

Edited by Tiller
Added link

Thanks for answering. The link to a builders pdf for 2015...wonder if one is available for a 2011? Went to the fleet ford site and I don't know where to even start looking. It woudl be nice to be able to know where to drill or whatever without tearing it apart. Kind scary to know there are spaces inside underneath. We cross the border here all the time and I hope no one has ever used this vehicle for smuggling. Might have to check it out to make sure there is no white powder under there lol

After looking at the diagrams for the 2015 transit connect, it looks like that raised thing right behind the front seats is to fill in where the back seat were supposed to go in order to make the back flat all the way up front. Hmmm.......

Edited by uphomesteaders
wanted to add another thought without going into a whole new post.

58 minutes ago, uphomesteaders said:

Thanks for answering. The link to a builders pdf for 2015...wonder if one is available for a 2011? .......

Here's the general Body Builder's site:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/bodybuild.html

And here's the file for the 2011 Transit Connect

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2011_Transit_Connect_v1.3.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2017 at 4:25 PM, G B L said:

If you look on page 7 of the 2011 guide that Don supplied  you will see that the added floor for the van is an added part and could be removed.

Good luck with your plan keep us in the loop and love to see pictures

The one problem that people have found is that the Gen 1 TC and early Gen 2 (2014's) had the load floor welded-in, so it's tedious to remove. Later, Ford got smart and bolted it in, making removal easy on 2015+ and maybe even some later 2014's - I don't know exactly when the switch happened. Somebody had taken pics of their 2014 awhile back and I don't remember now if they ended up cutting out the floor or gave up when they saw it was welded.

On 1/26/2015 at 8:22 PM, mustang said:

the same d rings on the floor will also bolt to the rear cargo walls in like 6 or eight different spots . I've added 4 xtra to mine . 2 on each side wall and the 4 original ones on the floor gives lots of options for tie downs for cargo .

They are like 20 something bucks each and come complete with all hardware ready to bolt down. Mines got the silly slots inthe plastic panels too.The drings are part # 550a74

the carpet only goes back to where the 2nd row seat would be in a wagon . the rest of the van is the floor behind the add on pc . in your diagram

the carpet is #13000 in the below diagram

#13046 is the vinyl floor covering

untitled_zpskrxm1dqo.png

@mustang @windguy thanks for this diagram! where do you get these diagrams by chance? i checked a few different files (BLBB on truckbbas, BEMM on FordEtis, and briefly the Transit Connect/Tourneo .dwg CAD file), but don't recall seeing these diagrams anywhere. for my campervan conversion, I like windguy would like to possibly change out this flooring, to put down more insulation/sound deadening, but especially to bolt down interior furniture (bed frame, cabinets, battery bank, etc.) thanks mustang! 

On 1/26/2015 at 8:22 PM, mustang said:

the same d rings on the floor will also bolt to the rear cargo walls in like 6 or eight different spots . I've added 4 xtra to mine . 2 on each side wall and the 4 original ones on the floor gives lots of options for tie downs for cargo .

They are like 20 something bucks each and come complete with all hardware ready to bolt down. Mines got the silly slots inthe plastic panels too.The drings are part # 550a74

the carpet only goes back to where the 2nd row seat would be in a wagon . the rest of the van is the floor behind the add on pc . in your diagram

the carpet is #13000 in the below diagram

#13046 is the vinyl floor covering

untitled_zpskrxm1dqo.png

Thank you for that Mustang, I just ordered 4 more of those D-Rings for the sides.

• 4 months later...
On 1/14/2015 at 0:05 PM, windguy said:

The number one issue I have is the mat is really tacky, kind of sticky over the entire area. I tried regular water on a rag to remove and then a degreaser in one area, but neither worked. It seems more like an adhesive residue. Anyone else have this issue or a remedy? I know once I get beach sand in there it's going to be a mess to remove. Goof off is good at removing adhesive residue but that's a large area to clean. What's odd is that you can almost see a pattern to the tacky spots. Is it possible that they laid down a template then sprayed this on so that the flooring wouldn't be slippery to remove liability in case some cargo slid forward if braking hard? just a thought.

Did you ever find a way to remove the tacky feeling? I have the same thing on my 2016.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2017 at 7:15 AM, Chumba said:

Did you ever find a way to remove the tacky feeling? I have the same thing on my 2016.

no, I didn't. I didn't like the soft spongy feeling of the mat so I added a sheet of 1/2" or so ext grade plywood and then adding carpet from Home Depot. Same carpet I used for my hanging rack. I primed and painted the plywood first and then used Weldon's adhesive to hold the carpet to the plywood. On the sides, I wrapped the carpet around the edges and under a few inches so it has a nice finished look. In the back, I let the carpet run a little longer to create a flap. It's held up pretty well the last two years but I do add a tarp in the back half because of sand and water splashing.

• 3 months later...
On 1/28/2015 at 10:27 PM, mustang said:

t-50

The Nissan NV-2000 is a lot cheaper than a connect , why you ask ?

They are made in US and no tax .

US customs MADE ford stop this run around on the chicken tax . You can't screw with the US customs office.

Theres also a reason the gutted van costs about the same as a finished wagon , us van owners are ultimately the ones paying the chicken tax , as the wagons don't have the tax.

They are about 2-3,000 less and it's not hard to see the content difference and feel the driving difference.

Tons of TC's driving around our city and almost everyone compared to the Chevy (nissan) because we have a GM truck plant in our city.

Most test drove both and then bought the TC, like me. 

Much cheaper feeling vehicle with much smaller engine and a rubber band transmission. (cvt)

There's more there than there is about customs.

Edited by MLB