Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014 Transmission fluid level check/refill.

Johnyguy

Happy new year to everyone!

Here is some pictures and instructions for the TC transmission to check trans fluid .

1. Start the engine and slowly select each gear position, stopping in each position and allowing the transmission to engage.

2. With the engine running in PARK on a level hoist make sure the transmission is at normal operating temperature 85-93° C (185-200° F). Check if the transmission fluid is even with the oil leveling plug hole.

3. If the transmission fluid is not even with the oil leveling plug hole, add clean transmission fluid in increments of 0.25L (0.5 pt) until the transmission fluid is even with the oil leveling plug hole.

Material : Motorcraft® MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid / XT-10-QLVC (WSS-M2C938-A) (MERCON® Lx

I checked on my TC and i can confirm there is filler plug similar to the one on the picture shows next to the air filter.

this maybe helpful to those who has access to a lift to check trans fluid level.

post-4130-0-51084100-1420218437_thumb.jp

post-4130-0-24169500-1420218450_thumb.jp

Was yours low?

i have not check but i had some oil around my transmission coming from somewhere at the first oil change at 1000miles i have to see on my next oil change around

4000 miles. if you dont have a lift its a little difficult because the vehicle needs to be in level and running at the same time use four ramps for all tires i guess it can be done.

Edited by Johnyguy

• 2 months later...

The Directions are accurate the fill is not as easy to get to as the picture shows . The air filter top and hose has to be moved to get to the fill but it is possible

A very crummy way to save $10.00 Dollars

• 1 year later...

Just changed the transmission fluid on my 2014 Transit Connect over the weekend. All went well, and my process is basically what was described above. The factory fluid level was about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart lower than it should be. Not good. Here it is in detail in case it helps anyone else:

1. Drive car to bring it up to operating temperature (makes it easier to bring it up to operating temperature again later on).

2. Shut off car.

3. With the car on a level surface, measure the distance between the bottom of the car and ground. Measure near the front drive side.

4. Jack up front driver side and use jack stands.

5. Remove large access panel under engine (Torx T30).

6. Remove front driver side wheel.

7. Lower car so that it is the same level that it was with the wheel on. The driver side front wheel will not hit the ground, even with the suspension drooping.

8. Put the car on some wood blocks at the right height in addition to the jack. Double protection! The car should be at the same height that it was with the wheel on.

9. Remove drain plug bolt at the bottom of the transmission. It's an 11 mm bolt at the bottom of the transmission.

10. Drain transmission fluid into a catch pan A little under 5 quarts will drain out.

11. Remove level plug bolt. This is a 14 mm bolt on the side of the transmission. You have to access it through the wheel well.

12. After the fluid is finished draining, reinstall the drain plug bolt. You can use thread compound if you want. Torque to 106 inch/pounds.

13. Open the hood and take the plastic cap off the transmission fill hole. It is under a black hose, but you can get to it. The cap says Mercon LV on it.

14. Get a funnel that has a narrow exit. It needs to be small enough to fit into the fill hole. I used a long blue funnel and black plastic extender that I got at an auto parts store.

15. Move the catch pan so it's under under the level plug.

16. Add transmission fluid through the funnel until the fluid drips out the level plug.

17. Start up the car and get it up to operating temperature.

18. Move the transmission through all the gears, and then put it in Park. Leave the car running.

19. Add more transmission fluid until it drips out the level plug.

20. Again, move the transmission through all the gears, and then put it in Park. Leave the car running. If you shut it off, transmission fluid will come out the level plug.

21. Add more transmission fluid until it drips out the level plug.

22. After the level plug has finished dripping, install the level plug bolt.

23. Shut off the car.

24. Jack the car up off the wood blocks and use jack stands.

25. Reinstall the large access panel under the engine.

26. Reinstall the front wheel.

27. Bring the car down off the jack.

28. Torque the wheel lug nuts.

29. After the engine has cooled a bit, reinstall the fill plug into the fill hole. That black hose on top of it will be hot.

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2015 at 10:08 AM, G B L said:

The Directions are accurate the fill is not as easy to get to as the picture shows . The air filter top and hose has to be moved to get to the fill but it is possible

A very crummy way to save $10.00 Dollars

Hello gbl

how is your transmission fluid did you get the seal replaced is there any official fix out there?    also have you change the fluid on the transmission yet

mine still leaks a little i just add some during oil change.

Thanks

Just now, G B L said:

There is no official fix and my leak is just a weep so I check the fluid regularly .  My TC Runs and shifts very nicely so I am not messing with it.

Just now, G B L said:

There is no official fix and my leak is just a weep so I check the fluid regularly .  My TC Runs and shifts very nicely so I am not messing with it.

thanks for your quick response!

Yes mine is the same im  just going to change trans fluid at 25K im at 23k now ..  and may extend the filler hose so its easy to add fluid  did you do that or you ok getting to the filler cap

On 9/25/2016 at 9:00 AM, G B L said:

Here is the post I did on the Transmission Change.

The hardest part of this operation will be getting the TC Jacked up. Should be almost level . Remove the Under body dust shield . Look for the Drain Plug. 11 mm or 7/16 wrench.

Trans Drain Plug Small.jpg ] Trans fill vent General Location Small.jpg Trans Vent Cap 1Small.jpg

This style funnel will slide down into the Vent plug you just removed Put 3 quarts of fluid in

[attacjpg] ] Trans funnel small.jpg

Run the TC for 5 to 10 minutes . Then drain the fluid again. Repeat this 2 more times You have Now used 9 quarts of fluid.

Put the Drain plug back in make it snug this time. Add 3 quarts of fluid You have now used 12 quarts.

Go under the car and Look for the indicator plug (14 mm wrench) Loosen the plug. Do not remove yet

Trans Fluid Level indicator Plug Small.jpg

Start the engine with the engine running and the Car in park pull the plug and add fluid into the funnel until it just drips out the Indicator hole Replace plug put the Dust shield on , Pull the funnel and replace the vent cap. Total Fluid 13 Qts. With most of number 13 left

There is no filter to change on this operation and the type of fluid is Mercon LV.

Have fun!

Here's the post I did on the fluid change  it should make every thing very Clear

• 11 months later...

2014 TRANSIT CONNECT LWB Titanium

Thank you for everyone who posted  the information on drain and fill.  I just ordered. 12 quarts of Motorcraft MERCON LV.      but..... page 198 of the 2014 TRANSIT CONNECT Owners manual states under specifications....Materials Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid XT-11-QDC.    but just above it it says use only MERCON LV in Transmissions that require MERCON LV.

Someone just tell me I'm not hallucinating.  Why would they list dual clutch fluid? 

Additionally it indicates to change the ATF fluid and filter during service.

What is the most definitive source for specs?

15075899044331826823567.jpg

Sadly, we don't have the dual clutch transmission  -  That was used in many of Ford's trucks.  No idea why they are mentioning it in the 2014 TC manual??

Also, we cannot change the filter, as it's buried within the transmission and you have to take the trans out of the van and separate it into two halves to get at it

Mercon LV is the correct fluid

Don

This is what I gathered from the prior info.    This fluid is specified for the 1.6 and 2.5 and no diesel mentioned.   Just a hastily put together manual I guess.  

I'm glad about the filter since I have been doing the tranny cooler pump and measure and fill method for high mileage transmissions on Volvo's for awhile now with great success. 

• 1 year later...

Not having a dip stick disables the average consumer: She cant check the fluid level and she cant check the fluid color.

My experience with my 2014 began at 82000 miles when I bought it for 13000. It needed new brake pads and it shifted rough between 1 and 2, and 4 and 5, but not always. It seemed to depend on how heavy my foot was .... Deleting the adaptive learning table associated with the transmission seemed to help.

When I drained the transmission it it only gave me 2.0 quarts, so I put in 4.0 quarts and drove it for 30 miles. The shifting was smooth. 

The fluid was very dark on the first drain, so I decided to drain it again.

The second drain produced 3.5 quarts and the new fluid mixed with the old which did not drain was darker and less transparent, but much better looking than the first drain.

I then opened the level plug and added 4 quarts of fresh fluid. This produced 0.5 quarts of overflow thru the level port. The overflow was a darker red and less transparent that the fresh fluid but perhaps a little better better than the second drain.

Judging by the second fill of 3.5 quarts before overflow began, it seems that the first fill of 4.0 quarts may have brought the system to level after the first drain returned only 2.0 quarts of what may have been the original fluid. So the transmission  may have been 2.0 quarts low at 82000 miles with no obvious transmission leak. 

Low fluid level seemed to be the cause of the rough shifting. Deleting the adaptive learning table helped the robot smooth itself out but adding more fluid improved the performance even more.

I think that driving very far after removing the adaptive learning table would have been a mistake: the robot might not have been able to tell me it needed more fluid even though it was coping with the deficit.

Edited by Ben Obo

The service recommendation for the 6F35 is to do a triple drain & fill.  A shop will use a machine with your cooling and return lines for a complete fluid exchange.  Different people have preferences as to which process is better.  I would rather have a machine fluid exchange.  But I do not own such a machine.  So to save a few hundred dollars, I do the triple  drain & fill.

It sounds like you've already drained it twice.  Maybe you could follow up with a 3rd drain & fill.  Some people may even say go for a 4th.  Be sure that your transmission up to operating temperature as specified, and that the vehicle is in neutral when you drain.  Then fill, shift through all the gears and allow for engagement, be sure that transmission goes back up to temperature with the fresh fill.  Now place in neutral before you open the transmission fill plug to check for correct fill level.  I say neutral, because the service procedure spells out neutral.  Then allow the computer to relearn the shift pattern with completely fresh fluid.

6f35drain.thumb.jpg.15a82541054e4a3e5771db9f97827a55.jpg

On 10/10/2017 at 8:59 PM, mrtn said:

Dual clutch automatic is for diesel models.

The facelift diesels (2018+) have Peugeot/Citroën 1.5 liter BlueHDI engine mated to an Aisin-made 8-speed (EAT8) planetary automatic.

• 6 months later...
On 1/2/2015 at 9:32 AM, Johnyguy said:

Happy new year to everyone!

Here is some pictures and instructions for the TC transmission to check trans fluid .

1. Start the engine and slowly select each gear position, stopping in each position and allowing the transmission to engage.

2. With the engine running in PARK on a level hoist make sure the transmission is at normal operating temperature 85-93° C (185-200° F). Check if the transmission fluid is even with the oil leveling plug hole.

3. If the transmission fluid is not even with the oil leveling plug hole, add clean transmission fluid in increments of 0.25L (0.5 pt) until the transmission fluid is even with the oil leveling plug hole.

Material : Motorcraft® MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid / XT-10-QLVC (WSS-M2C938-A) (MERCON® Lx

I checked on my TC and i can confirm there is filler plug similar to the one on the picture shows next to the air filter.

this maybe helpful to those who has access to a lift to check trans fluid level.

On 1/2/2015 at 9:32 AM, Johnyguy said:

post-4130-0-51084100-1420218437_thumb.jp

post-4130-0-24169500-1420218450_thumb.jp

Hello Is this for the 2.5L or 1.6L? Also do you know where the actual drain plug is on the 2.5L? Its funny on my 2014 i don't see an actual drain pan

It is for the F6-35 , which was used on both the 2.5 and the 1.6 The drain plug is in the case .  The way this transmission is set up there is no pan.  The only way the suction filter is changed is when the transmission is out of the TC