Ford Transit Connect Forum

Convert my Transit Connect to camper

Hello I'm new to this site, trying to figure out how to use it , I'm trying to get information on converting my Ford Transit Connect 2014 to camper. Any Idea's. I'm not a wood maker but if there was something on the market I could buy to fit, that would be perfect. Please let me know if you know of any site's to go for ideas.

post-4572-0-74915900-1419178661_thumb.jp

welcome to the forum

great looking van. thanks for sharing a pic. how many miles do you have so far?

regarding making the van a camper, I too would like to do this at some point.

do you want to make yours a full-time camper or just like a weekend get-away type setup?

it looks like you have a SWB wagon so there is one bench seat in the back that's removable, right?

there are several threads under Accessories & Modifications that discuss this topic. below is a link

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/forum/19-accessories-and-modifications/

there are also conversion threads in other sections. this one is located in Interiors and is pretty good

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/2299-my-tc-rv-almost-done/?hl=semperkeith

most of these are for Gen 1 TC's. Not as many for Gen 2 since they are newer.

You can do a goggle search on "2014 Transit Connect Camper" and find some ideas.

I don't think you'll find anything ready-made since this is more custom work tailored to an individual's needs.

I'm sure there are some van conversion companies in your area that can work with you on your project.

I have a 2014 LWB that I bought for use as an occasional camper of sorts. I am 6 feet tall and I wasn't able to lay down in the rear of the short wheelbase transit connect unless I slept diagonally. I measured 5 feet 11 inches from rear door to the back of the front seats, in the long wheelbase version I had 7 feet of room)

This may not exactly apply to a SWB but I'm guessing it'll be similar.

I removed the third row seats and seat belts altogether.

In the back I put a rock climbing pad that I had because it was the same height as the 2nd row seats when folded down.

I fold only the left 60% side of the 60/40 middle row down and that allows me to fit a 6 inch twin size memory foam mattress in the back. I only had to trim about 6 inches off the mattress up neat the middle seat that is still up right. Width wise it leaves some room beside the mattress if I want to sit up. Headroom isn't an issue.

I have room on the side of the bed for a plastic storage bin that double as a night stand.

The 3rd row windows are blacked out with some fleece material from Walmart.

I then installed 4 compression curtain rods (rear window, both second row windows and between the first and second row seats) with blackout curtains.

When the bed is in place I have access to 3 seats for carrying people, when I need all 5 seats I fold the memory foam mattress in half over itself and flip up the other seat.

I have used it more than I thought I would. I normally sit in alot of traffic going to work in the morning, so now on occasion I drive to work at 10pm when I would normally be going to bed and sleep in the van in the parking lot. I wake up in the morning and enjoy a nice short commute to work :) The memory foam mattress combined with the rock climbing pad provides almost as much comfort as my big memory foam mattress at home and with a -30F sleeping bag it's been very toasty even with the temperatures we are getting now in December in New England.

I suppose you could say that I'm a happy camper...

Edited by omniphil

• 2 weeks later...

My advice would also be to look at van conversion companies in your area. I don't think your going to find many kits available.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably work with a local company that converts a lot of sprinter/transit/promaster vans here in the Portland area. I'd have them add insulation, a removable bed and refrigerator along with a house battery and fantastic fan and storage. My conversion has a microwave and sink along with a built in water tank I almost never use. There's a pretty cool example of a more minalmilist approach here that was done by Sportsmobile for this company. http://www.campervannorthamerica.com/photo-gallery-edelweiss.shtml

@NWCamperMan - where did they mount your house battery?

Do you know what model it is?

What model refrigerator do you have?

For me, having a microwave would be huge plus, if I can fit it in.

Quickly heating up water for drinking or washing and heating up food would be easier than setting up a propane stove.

The microwave would use a lot of power though so that's an issue.

Edited by windguy

• 4 months later...

I had dealer power wires ran to rear of cargo area, there is a junction block for anything, inverter or whatever! 8gauge wire so no problem running microwave...

Also looking at buying 2-1/2 thick foam pool float to serve as mattress over the folded seats,

Camping and ocasional nights out? Mabye

• 4 months later...

Welcome to the forum.

I just purchases a 2015 XT last week and this spring I'l be turning it into a camper/deluxe road trip vehicle. My TC is replacing a full size van that was totaled last month, so I took the Marine batteries, microwave, refer, stereo, etc. out of my old van and will be installing them in the TC. I'm retiring in April and moving to Missouri, so my modifications won't take place until I get set up in MO.

I would really like to see what ideas you and others have come up with. I've spent the better part of two days just staring at the interior of the TC and going over build outs in my mind; planning is 1/2 the fun of doing the project.

But remember, if you don't take pictures-it didn't happen!

Regards,

Booner

• 5 months later...
On 12/21/2014 at 10:17 AM, brenlrob said:

Hello I'm new to this site, trying to figure out how to use it , I'm trying to get information on converting my Ford Transit Connect 2014 to camper. Any Idea's. I'm not a wood maker but if there was something on the market I could buy to fit, that would be perfect. Please let me know if you know of any site's to go for ideas.

Dave

Edited by transitseatman

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking for Campervan conversion services or turn key Campervans? Visit www.dlm-distribution.com for available vans and options. Your Camper van can be completed in less than a month at surprisingly low prices depending on what you are looking for. They are also on facebook at : 

www.facebook.com/transitconversions/

DLM-Distribution specializes in Ford Transit and Transit Connect Campervans

57e945b72f0682706c6c094f.jpg

DLM_new_main_photo_collage.jpg