Ford Transit Connect Forum

Aftermarket wheels for 2014 Transit Connect Wagon

John Comiez

Hi all,

Sorry if this is against the rules but I just posted a wheel question in the wheel/tire forum but thought it would also be good to posted it in the 2014 Transit Connect forum as well as it is specific to the 2014. Here was the post:

Picked up my 2014 Transit Connect Wagon a couple of weeks ago and now I'm looking to get a winter wheel/tire package for the long Michigan winters. Surprisingly I'm having trouble finding a place that will sell me wheels. I tried both tirerack.com and belle tire which is a local store I have used successfully in the past. Both places said that they don't have any wheels that will fit the 2014 Transit Connect.

I've done some research and I think the 2014 Transit Connect and the 2014 Focus use the same size wheels:

16" x 6.5"

50 mm offset/5.75" Backspacing

5 x 108" stud pattern

same center bore (wrote down the number but can't find the sheet).

So in terms of packaging and clearance I think I could buy any 16" wheel that fits on a 2014 Focus.

So I'm confused as to why both tirerack and belle tire say they don't have a wheel that fits my car. The TC is in their system since it will bring up tires that are compatible, just not any wheels.

Has anyone bought any aftermarket wheels for their 2014 Transit Connect?

Right now the only place that will confirm a compatible wheel/tire/TPMS is the dealership which will sell me a set of crappy and heavy OEM steel wheels + Michelin Ice-Xi3 + the Ford TPMS system for $1800. If I pick a nice set of what I think are compatible alloy wheels on tirerack.com along with the Michelins and a TPMS system it comes out to $1150. I'm having trouble spending $650 more to get a pair of steel wheels instead of a nice pair of much ligher alloy wheels.

I'm hesitant to buy a focus set on the chance that somehow my info on the wheel size is wrong. Another consideration is that the Transit Connect is a much heavier vehicle compared to the Focus (at least 1000 lbs heavier). Wheels must have a weight rating so maybe its possible that none of these two stores actually have an alloy wheel that can handle the much heavier vehicle.

Anyone have any history or info in on any of this?

Thanks.

John

I Used Discount Tire and picked up a set of steel wheels and Hankook snow Tires $780 shipped.. they even called to verify what vehicle it was going on

when i went to install the the front wheel rubbed, upon further investigation the welds on the inside had a high spot,

called them back and emailed a video, they upgraded me to a nicer alloy wheel . I'm waiting for them now

The problem with the TC vs the Focus is the wheel opening, which may be why Tire Rack doesn't list anything yet.

The rear suspension design and the cargo area make the wheel wells incredibly small in the TC. I haven't done any measuring yet, but I can tell by looking at it that there's not a lot of wiggle room. I'll probably work on wheels and what not in the spring. No sense in doing it while there's snow on the ground.

• 4 months later...

I have some 18" Elbrus rims with 235/40R tires from my 2013 focus. I want to put on my 14 TC...does anyone forsee any issues? I know the bolt patern is the same.

Answered my own question;

I put them on and they cleared everything suspension wise. The truck already had a rough ride before the rim change, but after it was like riding in a tank. you could feel every bit of the road. I took them off and put the factory ones back on. up to 18's is too much of a change

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi there,

My first post in this forum, have been frequently visiting this site to get more info before I bought my 2014 Transit Connect Titanium. She is a bit of an oddball as this was a regional Ford demonstrator and has the 1.6l eco boost engine which you can't currently get in the passenger model at least here in Canada. So far so good, my only complaints are the small fuel tank and if I had a choice, I would have preferred the double cargo doors over the mini van gate.

Here is my question to you all:

I was able to get a hold of a used 2014 Ford Focus factory steel wheel set with General winter tires for a decent price. The Steel rim is 16" diameter, 7"-1/2" wide and has a 2" positive offset (50mm). My online research shows that the Ford Transit Connect has the following tested wheel fitment: rim 16"-17"; rim width 5"-1/2" to 7"; possible offsets 45mm to 55mm. The bolt pattern is 5x108; thread size M12x1.5 and center bore is 63.3mm.

I did a dry fit and found the following: bolt pattern, thread size and center bore are obviously the same to start with. The rear wheel fit just fine and I can't see any infringements in the wheel housing, against the brake or suspension. The front wheels are the one I need your opinion on. They fit fine in the wheel housing, no infringement on suspension or turning the full lock left or right. However, the brake saddle looks very close to the steel rim. My measurements show about 1/4" spacing horizontal to the rim and 1/8" to 1/4" to the vertical. It's my understanding that the brake saddle is the fixed type and should not move vertical. Is there a min. spacing either way to the brake saddle ?

Cheers,

If the Radial clearance for the Caliper to the wheel is 1/4 to 1/8 and the side clearance is 1/4 you are good to go.

As the brake pads wear the caliper will slide toward

the Inside of the car making more clearance .

Let us know how they go!!