Ford Transit Connect Forum

Disable auto folding mirrors?

omniphil

Has anyone found a way to disable the folding mirrors? Every time I press the unlock button they unfold, and fold in when I press the lock button. I can see this being an issue this winter when snow and ice gets caked in there. Plus I really don't want to wear out the motors. I don't really need them to fold in that often at all.

I can certainly just pull the fuse to disable them, but I'd like to still be able to manually fold them in once in a while if driving through a small alleyway or something. Plus I'm guessing that pulling the fuse will make the heated mirror function stop working as well.

I already found the secret way to keep the remote start running when you open the door (And also disable the horn honking), so I figured maybe there would be a hidden way to tweak the mirror settings too...

• 7 months later...

Whats the secret way to keep the remote start running when you open the door?

Ok, you asked for it ;) Here's the hidden programming to change options.

To have the van keep running when you open the door (while remote started) you want to change Bank 2 Option 7 to off (I also changed Bank 2 Option 6 to off)

The remote start system override button is up under the dash on the left side. It sticks out a tiny bit.

NOTE: The engine shuts off so it can detect which key is starting the car (If you use MyKeys and have some keys given to kids that limits speed and stuff), so If you disable the remote start door open engine off thing MyKeys no longer works.

The below isn't my writing, I had saved it from another forum that appears to be gone, good thing I saved it ;)

System 100 Keyless Entry Remote Start System

(1 Way and 2-Way Remote Start Systems) If you have the Fob with 1 LED and one button with the KEY symbol on it, you have the ONE WAY system.

Note: Locate the L.E.D. connected to the remote start harness before proceeding. see my note #1.

When in the programming mode pressing the overide button moves you from one option bank to the other, pressing the brake pedal scrolls from one option to the next and pressing the button on the remote fob turns the option ON or OFF.

Entering Program Mode for Vehicle Security and Remote Start Systems

Step 1. Close all doors and hood.

Step 2. Press and hold the BRAKE PEDAL.

Step 3. Insert the key into the ignition cylinder and turn to the ON/RUN position.

Step 4. Locate and press the remote start system override button for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds the horn will honk 3 times and the lights will flash 3 times, indicating that the system is now in Transmitter Learn Mode.see my note #2

Step 5. Release the brake pedal and the system override button.

Note: Remote Start Transmitters (Fobs) can be programmed by pressing the (Lock) (KEY symbol on the Fob) button (1-Way) or the (Start) button (2-Way) one time for each transmitter. Up to 8 transmitters may be learned. This might be what you need to to do to program your fobs

MY NOTE #3 just a brief push, hold it too long and the system reverts to the default settings.

Step 6. Press and release the remote start system override button 1 time. The horn will honk 4 times and the lights will flash 4 times indicating that the system is now in “Bank 1” of the programming options.

Step 7. Press and release the brake pedal 1 time. The horn will honk 1 time and the lights will flash 1 time, indicating

that the system is now at the first programable option. Refer to the “Option Programming Chart” for available options and features.

Step 8. To advance to the next option, press and release the brake pedal. The horn will honk 2 times and the lights will flash 2 times indicating that the system is now at the 2nd programmable option.

Repeat for additional options within bank.

Step 9. To advance to “Bank 2” programming options, press and release the remote start system override button one

time. The horn will honk 5 times and the lights will flash 5 times indicating that the system is now in “Bank 2” of the programming options.

Step 10. Refer to the “Option Programming Chart” and repeat Step 7 and Step 8, if necessary.

Step 11. Once programming is complete, turn off ignition.

Note: Options can be changed by pressing the (Lock) button (1-Way) or the (Start) button (2-Way)one time.

The L.E.D. will turn on and off depending on the desired option. Items in BOLD are factory

default.

Option Descripition ..............................................................L.E.D.

Bank 1

1 Tachometer Learn

2 Door Trigger Polarity .........................................................Positive Negative

3 Key-In-Sense Polarity .......................................................Positive Negative

4 Extended Horn Honk ......................................................... ON .........OFF

Bank 2

1 Blind Crank .....................................................................ON OFF

2 Crank Time .....................................................................8 Sec. 1 Sec.

3 Run Time ........................................................................10min 15min

4 1 Press to Start (2 press if OFF)** .....................................ON OFF

5 Diesel Mode ....................................................................ON OFF

6 Horn Start Confirmation .....................................................ON OFF

7 Not Used ........................................................................ON OFF

see my note #4

8 Not Used ........................................................................ON OFF

** 1-Way Remote Start Systems are set to factory default of Press and Hold for Start.

2-Way Remote Start Systems are set to factory default of 2 Presses for start.

My note #1, I never found the LED under the dash. I had to resort to using logic. If what I wanted was not working I assumed the LED was "OFF" and pushed the fob button one time to change it's state from off to on

My note #2. You will have to remove the panel under the dash below the steering wheel to locate this button. There are 3, 7MM bolts to remove at the bottom edge of the panel. The top is held in with push connectors. You will have to pull the hood release to get the bottom edge clear. Make sure to close the hood before programming. You don't need to touch the 2 bolts holdong the OBDC connector on. The overide button is tied to a support just to the left of the steering column with the remote start wiring. It is a button about 1/4" in diameter and was facing toward the front of the car on mine.

My note #4, Option #7 is the "Door Open shut down" setting. The default is OFF, if you turn it on the engine will run when you open the door. If you are using the MY KEY option on your Flex to restrict a teen driver then don't change this!

Edited by omniphil

• 11 months later...

On my 2015 I found that if you lock the doors with the switch on the door the mirrors will not fold. If I use the remote or wireless key pad the mirrors fold. How's that for bringing an old thread back to life?

• 3 months later...