Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014 Transit Connect LT LWB - Transmission shifting issue? Any One ?

Irony0001

Have had my tc since June....has 23k miles...noticed the shaft leak too while doing an oil change...cleaned it off...next oil change leak seams to be lessening or may be gone...hard shifting trans no doubt...t just assume this is "normal " for this vehicle...but now will have to keep a closer eye on it....wonder if they just overfilled the trans at the factory and that is causing the leak.

[/quote

Hey when i did my first oil change at 1000 miles i also noticed some oil too on the transmission took some photos with my phone

But i did not want to get my self worked up and i did not know what to think of it so i ignored it mine shifts OK so far fingers crossed.I'm gonna see how is it looks like when i do my second oil change .

You can drive it to shift Rugh from 1-2 i guess but I'm use to it and it does not happen as often.

I'm gonna post some photos.

in my photo gallery i uploaded two pictures of the leak if anyone curious.

It makes me worry.

Edited by Johnyguy

OK it may be reliable enough, but when I feel shifting issues, the first thing I do is check my Fluid,

That being said, now I have to take this to the dealer and have them look at it.

New Van with down time sucks!!

so what did the dealer say

thanks

windguy, let's compare transmissions. 2010-2013 was a 4 speed automatic that had been around for many years. I think there was less than a handfull of transmission issues posted on this forum for the four years in Transit Connect service. 2014-2015 is a totally new transmission. More gears, more complexity, and more problems posted on this forum much earlier than the first generation Transit Connect. The rough shifting and seal leaks seem to be the two complaints most noted. We should all watch out for Technical Service Bulletins/Recalls and help out our 2014-2015 owners.

Never went, just got my recall so I will set up to do both,

Are you in the NYC area? I not sure which dealer to go to.

City World, Rye Ford,??

Yes im in the city

I do my oil change myself

I got my van from ford lincoln of queens after diblasi ford closed down so my order was transferred,

I don't like my dealer i can't really recommend any but when you go please ask them if they see a oil leak hopefully not or maybe they let you look under the van.

Are you drive in the city mostly? If so how is the gas milage?

Thanks

Have had my tc since June....has 23k miles...noticed the shaft leak too while doing an oil change...cleaned it off...next oil change leak seams to be lessening or may be gone...hard shifting trans no doubt...t just assume this is "normal " for this vehicle...but now will have to keep a closer eye on it....wonder if they just overfilled the trans at the factory and that is causing the leak.

[/quote

Hey when i did my first oil change at 1000 miles i also noticed some oil too on the transmission took some photos with my phone

But i did not want to get my self worked up and i did not know what to think of it so i ignored it mine shifts OK so far fingers crossed.I'm gonna see how is it looks like when i do my second oil change .

You can drive it to shift Rugh from 1-2 i guess but I'm use to it and it does not happen as often.

I'm gonna post some photos.

in my photo gallery i uploaded two pictures of the leak if anyone curious.

It makes me worry.

@johnyguy

i checked out your pics. that doesn't look very good. is that your transmission or from your last oil change?

BTW - any pics that you have in your gallery you can easily attach to your posts. In the toolbar above is an option labeled "My Media".

Select that and then select a pic from your gallery. Easy peasy

Also noticed that the file size limit for File Attachments is now 4.88MB. used to be something like 500KB. That's cool.

@johnyguy

i checked out your pics. that doesn't look very good. is that your transmission or from your last oil change?

BTW - any pics that you have in your gallery you can easily attach to your posts. In the toolbar above is an option labeled "My Media".

Select that and then select a pic from your gallery. Easy peasy

Also noticed that the file size limit for File Attachments is now 4.88MB. used to be something like 500KB. That's cool.

That picture from the first oil change i did and when i moved the cover that's what i find i was shoked needless to say, it is a brand new van what the $%$ is going on!!!

Other owners find this as well as you can see it I'm wondering when people takes the van for the first oil change because not too many owner does it them selfs so the ford technician sees this and than he keeps going like its OK and normal and gives it back to the owner "here sir the oil change is done you good to go",or what??

Yes im in the cityI do my oil change myselfI got my van from ford lincoln of queens after diblasi ford closed down so my order was transferred,I don't like my dealer i can't really recommend any but when you go please ask them if they see a oil leak hopefully not or maybe they let you look under the van.Are you drive in the city mostly? If so how is the gas milage?Thanks

All city, stop and go. Not crazy about the MPG,

But I will give it some time, because I only have 3600 miles.

I guess I will jack up the van and take a look before I bring in.

That picture from the first oil change i did and when i moved the cover that's what i find i was shoked needless to say, it is a brand new van what the $%$ is going on!!!

Other owners find this as well as you can see it I'm wondering when people takes the van for the first oil change because not too many owner does it them selfs so the ford technician sees this and than he keeps going like its OK and normal and gives it back to the owner "here sir the oil change is done you good to go",or what??

So you have less than 3,000 miles of city driving and you already have transmission fluid leaking. that's pretty messed up.

So it's obvious that Ford has a big problem with either the design or on the manufacturing end or both and they know about it.

In reading Jimmyboost's post, the driveshaft seals are faulty, the bushings and driveshaft are suspect.

It's clear that Ford has already introduced some mods based on Jimmyboost's wording: "Three different LH bushings in the first transmission (including updated part)" and "Updated LH driveshaft with improved surface finish" but he's saying it hasn't fixed the leaking problem nor the hard shifting so Ford hasn't figured this problem out yet. All at the expensive of the owners with these vehicles. I'd love to know the percentage of failure for this. Usually it's only the ones with a problem that you hear from but in Johnyguy's case, he wouldn't have known about the leak if he didn't inspect the vehicle himself so there may be others out there that have no idea their transmissions are leaking fluid.

As bad as it is having to get this repaired and Ford is paying the repair costs, what happens when the warranty is over, 5 years or 60,000 miles. Will you be spending thousand of dollars to fix these parts every few years because the transmission is sub-standard?

I seriously thought about canceling my order that last few days after reading about these problems, even though my ordered van is already built and in transit. The sole reason for getting a new car was to buy me reliability and avoid the repair headaches I have with my 1995 wagon. heck, the wagon's transmission is a little clunky at times but at least it doesn't leak and it has 173,000 miles on it. Sorry I'm ranting but my overall enthusiasm for the TC is quickly fading. I've got a few weeks before this van hits the dealer's lot so I hope others can post some positive news regarding these transmission problems.

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay in posts. I'm currently travelling for work and haven't had much time. To answer a few of the questions in no specific order:

1. I first noticed the oil leaking at 2505 miles. That was the first time I saw the underside of the vehicle, but I think there is a pretty good likelihood that the vehicle was leaking prior to that. My transmission dropped ~1 qt. of fluid during the first 3500 miles of driving (pretty much all highway).

2. New transmission has ~1000 miles on it. Checked it with ~800 miles on it and it was clear that it has been leaking for awhile.

3. The Ford rep denied that there was a TB out for the issue, but a search will reveal that similar issues are plauging the 6Fs in other vehicles as well and there is a TB out. Issue is supposedly related to the surface finish on the LH driveshaft. Driveshaft is not the correct surface finish and tears up the bushing and seal causing the leak.

4. As a general heads up; Carquest is liquidating their entire fleet of 2014 Transit Connects because they have encountered so many transmission issues.

5. TN has what apppears to be a very good lemon law, unfortunately, they require that you go through the manufacturer's voluntary buyback process first. Ford denied my claim, so no I am in the process of filing everything with the BBB.

Other interesting points about my Transit Connect:

For those that don't know, TCs come in to the country with side windows and passenger seats installed. These items are removed and exterior panels are installed and the interior deck and flooring is installed once the car gets stateside. Ford goes through these steps to avoid the chicken tax on imported cargo vans.

1. Side panelling on my TC is an entirely different shade than the rest of the car.

2. Interior of the car was damaged with they removed the seats.

3. Chips in the paint on the outside where the windows were removed.

4. I use (or at least intended to when I bought it) my TC to haul my RR motorcycles to the track. When I got my TC I pulled the flooring out to figure out how to mount my wheel chock. When I did this, I found what looked to be the majority of a side window shattered underneath the deck. I also found clumps of dirt and a Burger King receipt.

I made Ford aware of all of these items in the customer survey. I have since asked my warranty rep and his manager to be contacted by someone at Ford to discuss these items. I have asked four times on recorded conversations and my request continues to be ignored.

So you have less than 3,000 miles of city driving and you already have transmission fluid leaking. that's pretty messed up.

So it's obvious that Ford has a big problem with either the design or on the manufacturing end or both and they know about it.

In reading Jimmyboost's post, the driveshaft seals are faulty, the bushings and driveshaft are suspect.

It's clear that Ford has already introduced some mods based on Jimmyboost's wording: "Three different LH bushings in the first transmission (including updated part)" and "Updated LH driveshaft with improved surface finish" but he's saying it hasn't fixed the leaking problem nor the hard shifting so Ford hasn't figured this problem out yet. All at the expensive of the owners with these vehicles. I'd love to know the percentage of failure for this. Usually it's only the ones with a problem that you hear from but in Johnyguy's case, he wouldn't have known about the leak if he didn't inspect the vehicle himself so there may be others out there that have no idea their transmissions are leaking fluid.

As bad as it is having to get this repaired and Ford is paying the repair costs, what happens when the warranty is over, 5 years or 60,000 miles. Will you be spending thousand of dollars to fix these parts every few years because the transmission is sub-standard?

I seriously thought about canceling my order that last few days after reading about these problems, even though my ordered van is already built and in transit. The sole reason for getting a new car was to buy me reliability and avoid the repair headaches I have with my 1995 wagon. heck, the wagon's transmission is a little clunky at times but at least it doesn't leak and it has 173,000 miles on it. Sorry I'm ranting but my overall enthusiasm for the TC is quickly fading. I've got a few weeks before this van hits the dealer's lot so I hope others can post some positive news regarding these transmission problems.

i just did the oil change early other wise i would not know about the leak,

i understand you may thinking canceling the order i would do too

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay in posts. I'm currently travelling for work and haven't had much time. To answer a few of the questions in no specific order:

1. I first noticed the oil leaking at 2505 miles. That was the first time I saw the underside of the vehicle, but I think there is a pretty good likelihood that the vehicle was leaking prior to that. My transmission dropped ~1 qt. of fluid during the first 3500 miles of driving (pretty much all highway).

2. New transmission has ~1000 miles on it. Checked it with ~800 miles on it and it was clear that it has been leaking for awhile.

3. The Ford rep denied that there was a TB out for the issue, but a search will reveal that similar issues are plauging the 6Fs in other vehicles as well and there is a TB out. Issue is supposedly related to the surface finish on the LH driveshaft. Driveshaft is not the correct surface finish and tears up the bushing and seal causing the leak.

4. As a general heads up; Carquest is liquidating their entire fleet of 2014 Transit Connects because they have encountered so many transmission issues.

5. TN has what apppears to be a very good lemon law, unfortunately, they require that you go through the manufacturer's voluntary buyback process first. Ford denied my claim, so no I am in the process of filing everything with the BBB.

Other interesting points about my Transit Connect:

For those that don't know, TCs come in to the country with side windows and passenger seats installed. These items are removed and exterior panels are installed and the interior deck and flooring is installed once the car gets stateside. Ford goes through these steps to avoid the chicken tax on imported cargo vans.

1. Side panelling on my TC is an entirely different shade than the rest of the car.

2. Interior of the car was damaged with they removed the seats.

3. Chips in the paint on the outside where the windows were removed.

4. I use (or at least intended to when I bought it) my TC to haul my RR motorcycles to the track. When I got my TC I pulled the flooring out to figure out how to mount my wheel chock. When I did this, I found what looked to be the majority of a side window shattered underneath the deck. I also found clumps of dirt and a Burger King receipt.

I made Ford aware of all of these items in the customer survey. I have since asked my warranty rep and his manager to be contacted by someone at Ford to discuss these items. I have asked four times on recorded conversations and my request continues to be ignored.

thanks for your post!

So when you notice rough shifting first thing you check is transmission fluid level so i thought you had rough shifting because the transmission was leaking out fluid so i thought as long as we owners can or could check the level if someone would help where to look the fluid level we would be ok until they come out with a fix for it, i guess running the transmission with low fluid is not good either so it would be wise to check and at least tap it off if low.

As you said now you have a new transmission because not only the leak but the rough shifting so they tried to fix it and after all just change the unit for a new one.

If anyone knows where is the check plug on the transmission please help and let us know.

most people just take they van to a dealer to get the oil change and i guess the technicians dont say nothing even if they see a leak or just ignore it which is a shame .

So the rough shifting is gone or is it still present on the new transmission ?

Thanks!

i just did the oil change early other wise i would not know about the leak,

i understand you may thinking canceling the order i would do too

appreciate your honest answer. thanks

I plan to discuss the transmission issues with my sales rep and let him research it with Ford.

The one part I don't get is aren't vehicles road tested and lab tested prior to production to put miles on it and find any problems before they start pumping them out? It's not like this problem is happening after 100,000 miles. It's right at the start of use with low miles. I'm totally bummed.

appreciate your honest answer. thanks

I plan to discuss the transmission issues with my sales rep and let him research it with Ford.

The one part I don't get is aren't vehicles road tested and lab tested prior to production to put miles on it and find any problems before they start pumping them out? It's not like this problem is happening after 100,000 miles. It's right at the start of use with low miles. I'm totally bummed.

they use many different supplyers for the and the quality was not the same i guess but they use them anyway but other ford vehicle useing the same transmission but maybe different size shaft drive so im wondering those should have a leak as well

If you're interested in transmission issues with other vehicles, check out some info/links I posted in the ProMaster City thread

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/2922-tc-competition-2015-dodge-promaster-city/?p=9062

There is a link to a decent technical discussion about transmissions, which I provided below as well.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/02/zfs-9-speed-9hp-transmission-puts-dog-clutches-on-the-leash/

Put my '14 in the shop Friday for fuel line recall and transmission sliding into 3rd from 2nd, as well as a regular service. Trans tech took a ride with me and said he couldn't feel the tranny sliding into 3rd. Told him I smelled oil/fluid occasionally. He said not possible because the belly pan would conceal any leaks and the tranny would fail before I noticed leaks.

The called me and said there was no fuel line recall for my VIN. Then said they found an axle seal leaking. Well it's monday and when I called them they had not found an anwer for a replacement seal. Guess I'll be printing off part of this thread for him to read since they are oblivious to this being a problem. Letting me take the van until they can come up with an answer for the seal.

Mine went in for the recall, first oil change, and please check the transmission sometimes it shifts weird.

Got it back and they said transmission shifts normal and fluid level was full, naturally that's what I thought they would say.

Maybe it's just me but it seemed to shift better

Put my '14 in the shop Friday for fuel line recall and transmission sliding into 3rd from 2nd, as well as a regular service. Trans tech took a ride with me and said he couldn't feel the tranny sliding into 3rd. Told him I smelled oil/fluid occasionally. He said not possible because the belly pan would conceal any leaks and the tranny would fail before I noticed leaks.

The called me and said there was no fuel line recall for my VIN. Then said they found an axle seal leaking. Well it's monday and when I called them they had not found an anwer for a replacement seal. Guess I'll be printing off part of this thread for him to read since they are oblivious to this being a problem. Letting me take the van until they can come up with an answer for the seal.

When did you start driving your van?

How many miles do you have so far?

Was it leaking from the left driveshaft seal?

I'd probably have service put a new driveshaft seal on to hold you until Ford comes up with a permanent fix.

Mine went in for the recall, first oil change, and please check the transmission sometimes it shifts weird.

Got it back and they said transmission shifts normal and fluid level was full, naturally that's what I thought they would say.

Maybe it's just me but it seemed to shift better

no fluid leaking?

When did you start driving your van?

How many miles do you have so far?