Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014 Transit Connect LT LWB - Transmission shifting issue? Any One ?

Irony0001

Johnyguy The Fluid check proceedure is a pain but not very hard if the Gear is low enough to shift badly it will not be good for the Transmission Clutch Packs. Check the fluid soon!!

I also would like to see the service advisory on the issue Good luck

Johnyguy The Fluid check proceedure is a pain but not very hard if the Gear is low enough to shift badly it will not be good for the Transmission Clutch Packs. Check the fluid soon!!

I also would like to see the service advisory on the issue Good luck

Hi thanks for the reply what is does is holds the gear for a little longer than it used to but i take of my foot from the gas pedal and its shifts into the next, i need to call for a service would be nice to have a lift i don't trust those ford mechanics.

The bolt for checking the fluid is visible through the Left wheel well with the wheel turned to the left so the level could be checked from there with no lift

Thanks! you mean left wheel as i sit in the car i should know i posted some pictures here where to check haha, so if no oil comes out after removing the bolt that means I'm low on fluid rigth?

Yes if it is up to operating Temp. If Cold about 3/8 or 1/2 " below the hole as checked with a tie wrap dip stick I made, The fill is accessed better if the Air filter top is moved out of the way

Thanks for your help did you find yours low or fine if so did you ad any!

• 1 month later...

Yes if it is up to operating Temp. If Cold about 3/8 or 1/2 " below the hole as checked with a tie wrap dip stick I made, The fill is accessed better if the Air filter top is moved out of the way

Hello GBL did you go to ford to get they original transmission fluid or what did you use to fill up thanks!

Hello Johnyguy

I have to say I am not a dealership type of guy Unless there is no other choice. The fluid I got is Castrol Transmax It is fully Approved for Ford cars needing Mercon LV fluid

It is available at Wal-Mart or any good Auto Parts Store.

The only thing that Makes the Half shaft Oil leak Trouble is Not having an easy way to check the level and keep oil in it.

At the moment mine is just a drip and less than an oz in 1500 miles

As for the shifting issues the Computer in this car is really trying to out think the driver. In fact when the cruise is engaged and you are going down hill the brakes can be applied by the computer. That was very interesting the first time it happened

Not sure How I feel about my car plotting against me.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Johnyguy

I have to say I am not a dealership type of guy Unless there is no other choice. The fluid I got is Castrol Transmax It is fully Approved for Ford cars needing Mercon LV fluid

It is available at Wal-Mart or any good Auto Parts Store.

The only thing that Makes the Half shaft Oil leak Trouble is Not having an easy way to check the level and keep oil in it.

At the moment mine is just a drip and less than an oz in 1500 miles

As for the shifting issues the Computer in this car is really trying to out think the driver. In fact when the cruise is engaged and you are going down hill the brakes can be applied by the computer. That was very interesting the first time it happened

Not sure How I feel about my car plotting against me.

Hello GBL and everybody how is your trans fluid level I just checked mine the second time after 14000 miles I did not have to add much , so if the fluid is low than nothing would come out at the hole if you add fluid its starts to come out slowly right that is when you stop adding it should be at the level this is what I did . I think you have explaned this already .

I was thinking the fill up plug could be extended with a rubber hose so when you add fluid you dont have to burn your hand with the hot water hose next to it, did you think of that I mean I know its not like you need to refill very often but to be convenient could be done I think it would need a tube to extend that nipple .

Thanks!

Yes you could do that . You could use cap to find out the diameter of the tube and

the hose to connect it to the vent.

As for the fluid Level mine is just a weep at this Point and is getting checked

at the oil change .

Remember the fluid should just drip out the hole when the trans is at operating

Temp.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2014 transit connect. At 4000 miles the transmission was leaking. I took it in to get it fixed. Two weeks later I got the car back after not so great service. At about 41000 miles it discovered the transmission was leaking again. Had it serviced and a week later got it back with better service. Then drove it for a full week before the truck left me stranded because the transmission blew. I was 300 miles from home. Now it has been in the shop for over a month and it doesn't look like I'm getting it back before Christmas and maybe even the new year. This has done harm to my business and confidence in ford. Closing in on 50 days out of service for this brand new vehicle. Communication and help from ford is very hard exhaustng and unhelpful. It's a lonely world when things go wrong. So so disappointed in "American made" right now! PS hard shifting was there prior.

I have a 2014 transit connect. At 4000 miles the transmission was leaking. I took it in to get it fixed. Two weeks later I got the car back after not so great service. At about 41000 miles it discovered the transmission was leaking again. Had it serviced and a week later got it back with better service. Then drove it for a full week before the truck left me stranded because the transmission blew. I was 300 miles from home. Now it has been in the shop for over a month and it doesn't look like I'm getting it back before Christmas and maybe even the new year. This has done harm to my business and confidence in ford. Closing in on 50 days out of service for this brand new vehicle. Communication and help from ford is very hard exhaustng and unhelpful. It's a lonely world when things go wrong. So so disappointed in "American made" right now! PS hard shifting was there prior.

thanks for posting your story. sorry to hear about that. sounds like a real pain in the butt.

not sure why it took so long to get your seal leak fixed. you're in SoCa, so parts are a day away and the repair can be done in a few hours.

any idea why the transmission blew? could too much or too little AT fluid after your last service be the cause?

at least you're still within the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty but I guess your confidence isn't very high right now.

curious, do you carry a heavy load in the van? (assuming it's a cargo van and not the wagon)

41,000 miles is a lot of usage in a short period of time. you've spent a lot of time behind the wheel of this van.

good luck sorting this out. please keep us posted

Edited by windguy

Hope they step up soon and put a full reman in.

How often Were you Checking the transmission fluid level? Was the hard shifting taking place before the seal was replaced.

I have 22500 on mine in 11.5 months so you do spend alot of time in your car.

I think that the Transmission has to be checked every 4 to 5000 miles. Because the fluid check procedure is not totaly easy, it is likely to

Be ignored at the oil change .

If Ford does not get a head of the seal issue it will turn into a huge problem for them

keep up in the loop

I do drive a lot. I own an an electrical AV company. I do work in Nevada SF and Santa Barbara area for custom home owners and contractors.. The van has racks and tools in it but nothing that would over weigh the van. It is used as it was intended. The latest is, the dealership is waiting on one part for the rebuild of my transmission. This is either the most incompetent system to get a car repaired or there are other motivations behind this. I can't beleive it is realistically taking this long to fix a brand new truck. I have submitted with ford to buy it back and not getting much communication on that front. I have now submitted a complaint with the BBB under the lemon law. This issue has taken the truck out of service for business for over 50 days with all the repairs. I won't even go into the un ethical and misconduct of the first service attempt. That was not a good start with Ford Service. I bought this truck to replace my Chevy Astro van for reliability and gas milage. This experience has been one of the biggest mistakes I have made in my life. I have never felt so abandoned by a company. I have now called my Ford Co rep 3 times over 6 days with no call back. As for service on the transmission: I had the van serviced with oil changes regularly and no issues were found aside fron said leaks.

@reppik - thanks for the update. sounds like a nightmare.

similar to poster jimmyboost's experience - see post #19.

I guess everyone once in a while you get a problematic transmission.

That can be expected but the lack of attention from Ford is inexcusable.

please keep us posted on what happens.

You did your part on the service , I would love to know how low the Transmission got when they checked it at the Oil changes.

Big Company's seem to lose sight of the real issues and assume the customer is trying to get something for nothing.

They should have full Re-manufactured units ready to go, having a dealership shop doing this job is asking for trouble

Good luck, keep us posted

P.S worked on lots of Astro's . Not the easiest to service but A Tough truck

They should have full Re-manufactured units ready to go, having a dealership shop doing this job is asking for trouble

I would agree that they should have a replacement transmission available regionally for installation to minimize down time.

In SoCa this should be a fast fix with lots of TC's being serviced in the area. just like any major metro city.

Not sure about the re-manufactured though. If your vehicle is under factory warranty, shouldn't you qualify for a new part replacement?

I can see getting a re-manufactured after the warranty expires to save cost vs new, which would be your decision, but under warranty I'd want new factory Ford parts for all repair work.

I hate hearing about an unhappy TC owner. bums me out. hope this gets resolved quickly and has a good ending.

They should have full Re-manufactured units ready to go

I had torque converters go bad in both my Hondas (lock-up clutches failing) and the dealer was trying to tell me, with a straight face, that this has never happened before but was ready to offer me remanufactured units from the shelf. That didn't work out as these were even worse than mine. Ended up with getting OEMs.

Sorry to here, I guess it would depend on who did the reman, I think that if it was a Honda certified reman facility it should have been as good as new.

But I accept your point.

It sounds like it is time for a New Honda Dealer both with the smoke screen and the Choice of the reman parts supplier

In the case of the warranty It would be nice to think that Ford or any other Car company would always install a new assembly. I think if all the small

Print is finally read all that is required is repair or replace as needed.

It about the Money!!