Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum

Welcome to the Ford Transit Connect Forum - the largest Ford Transit forum discussion board.  Like most online communities, you must register to post and take advantage of other features that this community has to offer, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Transit Connect Forum by signing in or creating an account.
• Receive special product discounts
• Invitations to events
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create an album and post photos. . .More!

Click here to create an account now.

transit connect guest message logo.png

•  
    Custom Search

johnsonmy

Better throttle response, stays in OD longer. Better MPG?

Today I removed the "snorkel" going from the air cleaner toward the drivers side front fender. So far, I have better throttle response and it stays in overdrive longer before down shifting going up hills. Will this also provide better mpg? We shall see.post-3920-0-43780800-1414633720_thumb.gi

See item just under bolt number 6.

I would expect better MPG if it stays in a higher gear longer,. Keep us posted, please.

Hello johnsonmy, be carefull water does not get in the air cleaner box.

This^

The "snorkel" is there to pull air in from a dry place and/or stop water from getting into the air box. The inner fender is not a dry place.

You may see a very slight bump in fuel economy, but not enough to risk sucking water into your motor.

Won't that draw in engine heat vs colder air? (Which would help with gas mileage but hurt power)

Final results. Improved throttle response. On cold days, it almost feels turbo boosted. The transmission stays in OD longer on inclines and kicks back to OD sooner after it has kicked down. City fuel economy slightly improved, highway mileage appreciably improved. At fill up after highway trip, the expected mileage on the odometer goes to 420, usually more like 360. at this point, I'm planning on keeping it this way until i find a better solution. So far pleased with my free modification.

Boomerweps, if you wanted to, you could remove your entire air box and intake assembly.    Use an aftermarket intake air tube and a cone filter at the end.  Drill out a spot and fabricate a mount of some sort for your intake air sensor.  Or remove only the air box, keep the factory tube with the sensor attached, and cap it off with a cone filter.   Instant cold air intake.  

turbo-car-modification-supplies-telescopic.jpgCIMG011.jpg016a599924c6d0dd095e271b2da17596.jpg