Ford Transit Connect Forum

Ignition Kill Switch?

has anyone added an ignition kill switch to their TC - Gen 2?

This interests me greatly because it takes 5 months to order a new van and I plan to keep gear inside that's expensive and a pain to replace. It would be devastating to lose both.

thanks

EDIT - I guess I should really ask is this required with the TC's ignition system?

thanks

Edited by windguy

Why would you want a kill switch?

With the current arrangement, the ignition will only fire when the correctly encoded key is entered. Someone would have to have one of the keys assigned to your vehicles ECU in order for the ignition to fire. At that point, an ignition switch won't do much my stop them from driving it away. If they can get the steering unlocked and the transmission into neutral, they don't even need a trailer to boost it.

@ian,

thanks for in the input on this.

my motive to disable the van from being stolen is because I've heard lots of stories of vehicles being stolen, more so for the vehicle and not the contents inside, which often just gets dumped. I'm trying to be proactive in making sure this doesn't happen to me because my gear is valuable. Based on what you wrote, you're saying it's difficult to steal a TC or similar Ford but I'm curious if it does happen? It seems that car thieves today are pretty sophisticated in what they can do. The theft rate in SoCa is pretty high.

Perhaps not an ignition kill switch but maybe a cutoff switch between the ECM and Fuel Pump Relay. which someone else suggested as a good preventative measure against theft. I have no experience in doing something like this or how that works on late model Fords so that's why I'm reaching out to others to see what they've done or have learned.

thanks