Ford Transit Connect Forum

left hand thread eye bolt

I had to remove the spare this afternoon (PITA) to install my new HIDDEN CAT III HITCH, a piece of cake. In getting to the lug wrench to unwind the spare tire winch cable I came across a small black bag with the Ford logo and draw strings. Inside was a stout forged eye bolt with stout left hand threads. What on earth is this thing for??? It must serve some important purpose or it wouldn't have it's own black jewelry bag.

By the way, I can recomment this hitch. I will be using it to mount a Bike rack or one of the small platforms so I can carry firewood when we go camping so the cab won't fill with ticks, ants and other bugs.

Happy TCer

Jerry

I found it in the compartment on top of the jack. I have looked all over for a hole with a left hand thread and have not found anything. I did find what look like unused muffler/til pipe hooks up front and what mustbe tie down points for shipping on the rear corners and a socket welded to the rear bumper that is hiding behind a plug on the bumper???????.

Being that a picture is worth more than what I can describe I have attached a shot of it lying on it's black bag.

(follow up)

I popped off one of the little white covers on the front bumper facia and presto, there is the elusive left hand threaded hole. It looks like there is one on the other side and must be what is hiding under the little cover on the back bumper facia. It seems strange that there would be no mention of this in the manual, at least I haven't found it.

jerry

post-454-127524661222_thumb.jpg

Edited by JEGARH