Ford Transit Connect Forum

Things to check before buying a used Transit

kmillervir

So I've been on the market for a Transit to convert into a small camper and I'm going to look at one this weekend that seems to be very under priced. It is a used 2010 XL with 97k miles. I'm wondering what things I should check (specifically, outside of the things you'd check on any car.)

I have read that the frame can rot on some so I will certainly check that but any other suggestions??

The help is VERY appreciated.

Thanks!

I don't know much about the transit connect specifically, but I've looked at enough east coast cars to know some things that you should look for in general...

Rust. Check the fender, inner fender well, and bottom for any signs of surface rust or erosion. The salt y'all use on the roads out there is an absolute beast to cars and really anything metal that it touches.

Service History. At 97k, it's about 1.5 times above what would be considered "normal" mileage. It's not too big of a concern if they can show that it had regular oil changes and maintenance done on it.

• 1 month later...

I've looked at almost every used FTC with in 50 miles of Vestal and higher milage ones are usually priced lower. If you are willing to travel and want a blue window van with rear seats there is one in Vestal at Mathews Planet Preowned. Low milage, like <10,000 (?). They say they are one price, but they have had it for 6 months and you might be able to deal.

Biker209

• 11 months later...

A little late for this thread but .....transmissions go bad around 60K . I think the story goes Over drive clutch pressure isn't strong enough to hold 100%. Causes excessive wear from slippage. Fix is overhaul trans , reprogram for a few more PSI in trans.

kndlkstms, I could not disagree more with your transmission comment. On what do you base your comments? There is no evidence of "transmissions go bad around 60K" on any website as being an issue with Transit Connects. On a case by case basis, any vehicle can have a bad transmission. To mark all Transit Connects as having bad transmissions after 60K is just wrong.