Ford Transit Connect Forum

European Transits

Hey all!

I am wondering if anyone has ever had a transit shipped over seas from Europe? They have really nice diesel Transits there that are significantly cheaper than Transits here in the states, so much cheaper that it seems it would be still be cheaper to buy one from somewhere in the UK, have it modified to meet US standards, and shipped over seas than to buy one here in the states. AND as a bonus, the Transit would last much longer and be better quality.

Has anyone else looked into this or done this?

I have read about such plans before and it usually gets stuck behind the impossible bureaucracy you'll face. The diesel engines are not compliant with the US emission requirements, which I have never understood how a 10 mpg truck is and a 50+ mpg van is not.

If you were to go this way then there's zero point of importing it from UK as they have RHD. Pretty much all other European countries have the TC in LHD.

Hey all!

I am wondering if anyone has ever had a transit shipped over seas from Europe? They have really nice diesel Transits there that are significantly cheaper than Transits here in the states, so much cheaper that it seems it would be still be cheaper to buy one from somewhere in the UK, have it modified to meet US standards, and shipped over seas than to buy one here in the states. AND as a bonus, the Transit would last much longer and be better quality.

Has anyone else looked into this or done this?

Would be a nice idea if they would let you register it in the states, the quality should be the same they build it in Spain for Europe too no?

I'm from eastern Europe and where I'm from prices are much higher than in the states not just for the TC but in general cars are much less expensive here in the states and comes with more standard features than in Europe .When I said before the older TC had a 2.0L engine I called it underpowered in Europe for example in the UK they have it with even smaller engines and the 2014 version as well , on the forduk website you can check and see for your self they have options like both side sliding back door or for just one side ,when in the US we got both standard.

The only advantage they have which is huge is the diesel engine options and manual transmission.

I would love to have them .

Johnyguy, is correct. There are many reasons you would not be able to bring one over from Europe. First is the cost of shipping, $3,000 dollars or more from the UK. The second, you have to have the engine modified to pass US emissions. Third, all US safety standards need to be installed, including all air bags. The list goes on and on. Importing vehicles was popular back in the 1980's, since then the US regulations have brought an end to what were called "grey market" vehicles.