Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014 Transit Connect Fog lights

• 2 years later...

I don't think I'm going through the trouble to install OEM lights into those cut-out locations.  Funny how people who actually live in Fog Town, have gotten by all these years without those little cornering lights.  If I add lighting, it will probably be more along the lines of LED.

• 4 weeks later...

Just another find @ amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/10-15-Transit-Connect-Wiring-Conversion/dp/B01CZ6NW4W/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1476607226&sr=8-30&keywords=ford+transit+connect+fog+lights

10-15 Ford Transit Connect Fog Light Set w/ Wiring Kit & HID Conversion Kit (Clear)

by AJ Auto

Price: $73.75 & FREE Shipping

Your cost could be $68.75: Qualified customers get $5 in Gift Card funds on first $100 reload of their Amazon Gift Card Balance. Learn more
Note: Not eligible for Amazon Prime.
Only 20 left in stock.

Estimated Delivery Date: Oct. 20 - 25 when you choose Standard Shipping at checkout.
Ships from and sold by ajautocompany.

Color: Clear
  • Yellow
    $83.75
  •  
  • Clear
    $73.75
  •  
  • Smoke
    $73.75

71hhcnFvUFL._SL1200_.jpg81z1tae2qkL._SL1500_.jpg51Q-P%2BXUJGL.jpg

The cornering lights are clever, but I doubt they will ever illuminate anything I need to worry about. You can make the lights wink by turning the wheel back and forth at a stoplight. I also never realized any advantage using fog lights...maybe they help others see you?

6 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

I also never realized any advantage using fog lights...maybe they help others see you?

On almost vehicle I've ever driven, the OEM fog lights don't do anything.  Even if in theory, they are correctly mounted in the lower corners of the front of the vehicle.  I have had good results with certain aftermarket installations using different housing and lamp combinations.  Otherwise, it's like all those lighting mods that kids do on Fast n Furious Hondas.  When you look at them, they're bright and look good.  But from behind the wheel, your visibility is not enhanced.

Rear fog lights are designed for just that purpose.  If for whatever reason, the person behind you can't see your car or all the other lights on your car, then the rear fog light is meant to announce your presence on the road ahead of them.  

The front fog lights are meant to project downward and in a flood pattern.  The theory is that the light will hit the ground directly in front of, and around the front of your vehicle, so that you can see the road, lane dividers, and reflectors as your headlights are "bouncing" off the blanket of fog.  

Fog lights do not throw very far.  That's not the purpose.  They are suppose to help you see the road, so that you can stay on the road.  And, you're already suppose to be driving a lot slower, so added distance is not an issue.  Fog rises off the ground, so any other lighting will simply bounce back at you.  

fog-lightsUntitled-1.gifbeam.jpg1456516288.jpg

In CA, we have something called a "Tule Fog".  This is where my fog lights have either worked, or not worked.  

drive-fog-2.jpgDashboard-fog-768.jpgHaleakala_highway_Crater_road_fog1.jpglex4-1-fog-through-windshield.jpgTule_fog_(Bakersfield,_California_-_13_J

My best results were with Hella brand lights, running 100W lamps.

• 411YF3ncfeL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51TtAjWNbGL._SS40_.jpg
  • 41Wt7AJ3M6L._SS40_.jpg
  • 41mY5v2mdOL._SS40_.jpg

71bpJQ4nvrL._SL1500_.jpg
  • Optilux 1450 12-Volt/55-Watt Rectangular Clear Halogen Fog Lamp Kit
Roll over image to zoom in

Optilux 1450 12-Volt/55-Watt Rectangular Clear Halogen Fog Lamp Kit

by HELLA

• 31YKbcJxbGL._SS40_.jpg
  • 31BRn4XGikL._SS40_.jpg
  • 41mY5v2mdOL._SS40_.jpg

31BRn4XGikL.jpg
  • HELLA HLA-H83135121: H3 12V 100W Yellow Star Off Road Use

HELLA HLA-H83135121: H3 12V 100W Yellow Star Off Road Use

by HELLA

9 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

On almost vehicle I've ever driven, the OEM fog lights don't do anything.  Even if in theory, they are correctly mounted in the lower corners of the front of the vehicle.  I have had good results with certain aftermarket installations using different housing and lamp combinations.  Otherwise, it's like all those lighting mods that kids do on Fast n Furious Hondas.  When you look at them, they're bright and look good.  But from behind the wheel, your visibility is not enhanced.

Rear fog lights are designed for just that purpose.  If for whatever reason, the person behind you can't see your car or all the other lights on your car, then the rear fog light is meant to announce your presence on the road ahead of them.  

The front fog lights are meant to project downward and in a flood pattern.  The theory is that the light will hit the ground directly in front of, and around the front of your vehicle, so that you can see the road, lane dividers, and reflectors as your headlights are "bouncing" off the blanket of fog.  

Fog lights do not throw very far.  That's not the purpose.  They are suppose to help you see the road, so that you can stay on the road.  And, you're already suppose to be driving a lot slower, so added distance is not an issue.  Fog rises off the ground, so any other lighting will simply bounce back at you.  1456516288.jpg

In CA, we have something called a "Tule Fog".  This is where my fog lights have either worked, or not worked.  

My best results were with Hella brand lights, running 100W lamps.

• 411YF3ncfeL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51TtAjWNbGL._SS40_.jpg
  • 41Wt7AJ3M6L._SS40_.jpg
  • 41mY5v2mdOL._SS40_.jpg

71bpJQ4nvrL._SL1500_.jpg
  • Optilux 1450 12-Volt/55-Watt Rectangular Clear Halogen Fog Lamp Kit

Optilux 1450 12-Volt/55-Watt Rectangular Clear Halogen Fog Lamp Kit

by HELLA

• 31YKbcJxbGL._SS40_.jpg
  • 31BRn4XGikL._SS40_.jpg
  • 41mY5v2mdOL._SS40_.jpg

31BRn4XGikL.jpg
  • HELLA HLA-H83135121: H3 12V 100W Yellow Star Off Road Use

HELLA HLA-H83135121: H3 12V 100W Yellow Star Off Road Use

by HELLA

Isn't it always a 50-50 chance something works or it doesn't.......?

I'm just being a jacka$$....  I was going switch my fogs to LED's but got the 32" light bar instead...  No fog here...

• 2 weeks later...

This is what my OEM headlamp with OEM halogen H11 looks like.  In a heavy fog condition, fog lights are suppose to be able to compensate and provide similar visibility on the road surface so that you can at least see the road and lane markers.

KIMG0043.JPG

Anybody know if the OEM fog lights on the 14 and newer TC's are CanBus connected or not?  I'd like to install LED lamps while I'm in there adding DRL's to my fog lights because changing the bulbs is an all day proposition, but if the lights are activated by the CanBus, I'll need external resistors to make them work and I'd want to order the resistors before I take the van apart

Thanks!

Don

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I got my DRL's installed.  I already had the OEM fog lights and I replaced those units with similar ones which had both a fog and a DRL bulb.  I did use LED's for the DRL's but the LED's I bought for the fog lights were far less effective than the OEM 55 watt halogen bulbs, so I stayed with those

It wasn't as simple a project as I had envisioned though.  You must remove the wheel/tire and the inner fender well to even get at the lights.  On the left hand side, you still can't see the light as Ford mounted the engine computer behind the foglight, so that's got to be moved as well.  I had to modify the fixture holder a little to make room for the DRL bulb which comes out of the bottom but it was as simple as cutting away a bit of plastic with a pair of snips. 

For now, I have the DRL's running off a spare fuse slot (F45) in the battery fusebox, but that means they are on whenever the key is on  -  They don't go off when you turn the head lights on like they do in our other cars, so I'll have to see if they bother oncoming drivers at night and if so, I'll add a relay so they go off when the headlights come on

No question the van is more visible with them on.  Sure don't understand why Ford opted not to install DRL's as standard on all USA models.  I know they are required on every vehicle in Canada and I think that's a good idea

Don

2 hours ago, Beta Don said:

Sure don't understand why Ford opted not to install DRL's as standard on all USA models.  I know they are required on every vehicle in Canada and I think that's a good idea

It's about the amount of daylight and the brightness of it. We have always had DRL mandatory but we're also at the same latitude as Anchorage, Alaska so plenty of dark time from August to April. The sun barely sets in June tho. Just a couple of hours behind the horizon.

5 hours ago, Beta Don said:

No question the van is more visible with them on.  Sure don't understand why Ford opted not to install DRL's as standard on all USA models.  I know they are required on every vehicle in Canada and I think that's a good idea

Don

Some people don't like DRL.  You will probably never want to drive at night with all the lights off, but I might need the "tactical advantage" of being able to creep up on somebody.

Here's a couple photos

The new combo Fog/DRL units are standard on many cars  -  They're the same units used on our Mitsubishi electric cars as well as several other domestic and Japanese brands.  The close-up shows the LED bulb in place of the incandescent P13W bulb that they usually use for the DRL.  The fog light bulb is behind the little reflector for the DRL bulb

The other photo just shows them lit up on the car  -  They're a lot brighter than they appear because the camera was so close to the front of the car that they're not aimed right at the camera

P1000307.jpg

P1000308.jpg