Ford Transit Connect Forum

Fitting a Motorcycle in the back!

I have been looking at TC's since 2010. I measured them and decided I wouldn't be able to fit my Yamaha XS650, or FJ, in the back so I have been waiting for Ford to make a LWB model. Ford finally made one, but lowered the roof by seven inches, and the door also. Now I'm not sure if I could even get one in the back. So I'm asking anyone who moves motorcycles: Does your bike fit in the back of SWB van? Can you get through the door of the 2014 TC with the lowered roof? Is the new larger motor and new transmission worth moving up to the 2014? I could save a grand getting the SWB and several with a leftover 2013 sitting a few towns over.

Your help is appreciated,

Looking to be a TC driver soon,

Biker209

Had Pickups. I'm a Van guy.

Have trailers, one in the back of my VUE.

Looked at the NV200, but I've got to be able to tow.

Can't put gas in a full sized Van... unless it or the gas is free.

Yes I did post this question several years ago. And yes I saw Zepper's bike in the back of his 2012 TC.

Forgive me please I'm old.
So will the 2014 work as well?

Edited by biker209

The 650H is 46 inches with Daytona Touring Bars and bar end mirrors. At about 460 pounds I can still move it easily. I have pretty much given up on putting the 575 + pound, 52 inch tall FJ1200 into the back of anything. I'm hedging because of the money.The last time I spent so much I bought a two family house. So the upgrade to the 2014 is worth the $ ?

Biker209

I have not had any reason to put my Bonneville in the back of my 2010 yet, but I am confident it will fit.One reason I bought the TC is to haul my bike to the shop if need be.

It will almost certainly require removing the backseat but that is easily done. I'm thinking more of short trips of maybe ten or twenty miles, rather than hauling it to some rally six states away. Even if the back door has to be tied (almost) closed, it would not be a big deal for close destinations. There seem to be sufficient tie down spots back there as well.

(By the way, the XS Yamaha is an all-time favorite of mine.)

Thanks Willie.

I'd like to go to 650 rallies with the bike in the back. Zepper fit his Race/track bike the his 2010, but our road bikes are longer; fenders, tail lights and license plate stuff. I plan on doing some van camping and I just have stuff to haul that makes a mess in my Vue. I have a Trailer in a Bag that I could use to drag my bike around, but I'd prefer to have the bike inside and not in the weather. I took my '80 XS650SG to Florida and also to Peoria Il. It didn't run right after either trip. Never had a problem when I carried a bike in a van. I've thought about a new Triumph Bonneville, nice bikes.

Biker209

It might be pretty easy to take the back fender off for the trip.

Another thing that helps is to have a hillside or slope you can back up to. This saves pushing the bike up as steep a plank which can be a bit scary. Good luck, whichever way you go..

So today I stopped by the local Ford dealership today and took a 2014 LWB Van for a test ride. I was impressed with the power over what I have, '03 VUE, and the older model TC. I like the way it handled. There was no swaying back and forth. There is too much wasted space in the dashboard area. So much so another term for dashboard is needed. I liked the space in back, except for the low ceiling... My test ride included stopping by my house, padding my 24 inch wide ramp to "do no harm", and rolling out my 1981 XS650H. Yes it will go in the back. Yes, I did have a difficult time the first time I put my 1972 650 in the back of my 1967 Dodge van. I remember it well. I thought "Now what did I get myself into?" But after a while it was easy and I didn't think about it. When I traveled (mid "70's) I'd unload and load several times a day. But today was different. I think my days of loading a 460 pound machine by myself are over. I might have to get a smaller (lighter) bike. And yes, I actually workout more now than I ever did then. At my age it's just to keep from losing what I have.

Would I buy one? That is the $25,000 question. If I can't load the bike in the back do I need a LWB van? Do I even need a van? I think I do. After all I am a van guy.

Thanks for all the help.

Biker 209

My g/f's Ninja 500 fits in my 2014 LWB but my Honda VTX doesn't..too long even for my LWB cargo version. Not a big deal as there's no way I'm pushing that 700lb bike in there anyway. IMO the 2014 is so much better in every way over the 2010-2013. I looked at both very closely and the improvements and comfort make saving a couple grand off a leftover 2013 not worth it. (plus the new ones look a lot better(

1972 650 Triumph Bonneville fits no problem , didn't need to rotate h bars but I did anyway .

Bike stayed rock solid for the 2000 mile trip to it's new home ( I gave it to my little brother )

on the plus side the van nailed a solid 26-27 mpg at 80mph all the way to Cheyenne .

_KGN1373_zps3791c2e5.jpg

@mustang

great looking van.

can you post a side view picture?

what are the black things hanging from the ceiling?

there also seems to be a small partition also hanging from the ceiling behind the rear seats. did you add that?

thanks

@mustang

great looking van.

can you post a side view picture?

what are the black things hanging from the ceiling?

there also seems to be a small partition also hanging from the ceiling behind the rear seats. did you add that?

thanks

The Black "things " are a fishing rod holder from Bass Pro shop

the partitition is where the finished front interior (headliner ) ends and the unfinished ceiling in the van rear body starts

one photo coming up as soon as I go take it ................................

It's an XLT in Frozen White

it was on the dealer lot and had everything I wanted except the rear view camera .

It's got the factory tow pkg also ( well worth the xtra $300)

so rather than wait for one I jumped on it , couldn't be happier .

It's got the 2.5 liter duratech which I think is better than the eco boost .

mileage is supposed to be 24 city 29 hiway

reality with my driving habits are pretty much 26 avg combined . I cannot get 29 Hiway but on back roads I can get 30mpg at 55 mph .

_KGN1406_zpsef892d0d.jpg

_KGN1407_zpsb9006490.jpg

Edited by mustang

The van looks nice I can't believe some ,people says the old version is better I mean cmon the new design is so much better modern looking , I ordered same as yours not the lxt version same window setup in silver its been 4 months ,still waiting , really looking forward to it right now driving a Honda odyssey gas mileage is one thing I look forward to and its lighter as well .

Congrats!!

How much is the engine rpm at 70mph?

Thanks

@mustang

that van is great looking. thanks for the additional pics.

my van will have that same window configuration but in silver. I was on the fence between white and silver. both nice colors.

you're lucky to find a van like that on the lot. haven't seen any vans in my area with the 2nd set of windows on the sliders.

Funny, I never noticed that partition before. I like how it creates a little bulkhead.

Guess you have to add "fishing" to your interests on your profile ;)

I'm jealous!

@mustang

that van is great looking. thanks for the additional pics.

my van will have that same window configuration but in silver. I was on the fence between white and silver. both nice colors.

you're lucky to find a van like that on the lot. haven't seen any vans in my area with the 2nd set of windows on the sliders.

Funny, I never noticed that partition before. I like how it creates a little bulkhead.

Guess you have to add "fishing" to your interests on your profile ;)

I'm jealous!

Hey I guess we ordered the same kind of van silver with windows I did not get the lxt model because the paint on the bumper gets ruined fast by other careless drivers so black is better I guess but I still like the look of the painted bumpers , when did you ordered yours any news??

And thats correct finding a van with windows is a difficult task the last time I checked.

Hey I guess we ordered the same kind of van silver with windows I did not get the lxt model because the paint on the bumper gets ruined fast by other careless drivers so black is better I guess but I still like the look of the painted bumpers , when did you ordered yours any news??

And thats correct finding a van with windows is a difficult task the last time I checked.

sounds like it. I didn't think the bumpers were painted, just black.

maybe that applies to only the Wagon models and not the vans. not sure.

ADD-ON - I looked at the configurator again. There is a difference. The XL has more black around the front and rear fender (I think that's what you'd call it) areas but the front and back bumpers are still black on the XLT. So XLT - more painted areas, XL more black areas. They both look nice with a different appearance.

I'll make a separate post about my ordering experience. It's been on my TO DO list to share with the group.

Edited by windguy

Side Question-

how do you embed pics in a post?

I've tried the "more reply options" to do an attachment but limits you to only 36KB in size, which is often too grainy

thanks

It is of topic but it would be nice to have a option to see "today posts" by one click on the front page like other forums has it maybe the moderator could take care of this??thanks!!