Ford Transit Connect Forum

How to pass leads from the hood to the rear?

charles88

I'm thinking of doing a secondary battery for an AC inverter in the rear of the van. I'm going to install a voltage sensing relay so the secondary (rear) battery can also be charged will the engine is running. This will help to prevent the main (starting) battery from drowning.

My problem is that I'm not sure from where to pass the leads from the main battery to the rear. Any help please?

Hello charles88. Since you drive on the left side of the road in Malta,if your Transit Connect has the sterring wheel on the right side, your best information will come from the Transit Connect UK website http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=54 . If you are using a Transit Connect with a sterring wheel on the left side, I can help. There are two large rubber gromets on the firewall just below and behind the battery box. I have used both on them to run lighting wiring to my dash. They are large enough for heavy gauge battery cables. The forum members on the UK site can confirm if the gromets are in a similar place on right hand drive Transit Connects. As far as a place to run cabling in the interior from front to rear, there are many places, I have run wiring inside the side panels with out very much difficulty. Good Luck.

• 3 years later...

I have just fitted an old style plunger door contact alarm to my 2004 T.C it was a labour intensive job . The best way that found was to remove the n/s front wheel remove the inner mud/ splash shield so you can see the outer side of the engine compartment ment from under the wheel arch. There are holes high up that then go just behind the battery housing.You will need feeding rod to pass a wire puller through. In the other direct follow the the gap over the wheel arch and in through the door grommet. Next  remove the plastic passenger footwell side panel and the passengers plastic door tread and run cables along the loom access into the back, you are now well inside. Investigate this route before you start as the distances longer than it looks by  keeping it all tucked in and safe you my need to get a few more meters of cable then you thought . Hope this helps