Ford Transit Connect Forum

Oil

jshelby861

4 hours ago, Beta Don said:

If you use a quality filter, full synthetic 5W-20 and drive 10,000 miles per year or less, you can just change it once per year.  That's the 'schedule' we're using

Don

I agree with Beta Don. Today's synthetics are really good, the additives don't easily break down. I use Mobil 1 5/20 full synthetic, change it every 7500 miles and use Motorcraft filters. It's easy and I change it myself, about once a year. Keep a eye on the oil level once a month and you'll never have an oil related engine failure.

11 hours ago, Boomerweps said:

The 2017 TC TELLS you when to change the oil based on your driving conditions. NO oil change interval is specified.

They don't specify it with the introduction of maintenance minders.. I don't have one in the menu, so mine's set to 20,000 km (12,500 miles) or once a year. I change at 15,000 km (9600 miles). 

The engines are still the same and the oils are still the same. Only extreme usage or climate conditions affect the oil change intervals to extremes.

The new full size Transits have 50,000 km (31,250 miles) service schedule over here. Absurd.

I suspect that  changing the oil too often was never the cause of early engine failure .  The extra cost of too many oil changes is minuscule in the total cost of a vehicle.  

If the  drive-train warranty of the  EU transits is 100000 Km the oil change interval will not make a difference.  They will weld the hood closed soon!!

I suspect that  changing the oil too often was never the cause of early engine failure .  The extra cost of too many oil changes is minuscule in the total cost of a vehicle.  

If the  drive-train warranty of the  EU transits is 100000 Km the oil change interval will not make a difference.  They will weld the hood closed soon!!

3 hours ago, G B L said:

The extra cost of too many oil changes is minuscule in the total cost of a vehicle.  

I agree  -  The cost of the oil itself and the filter is minimal.  It's the moron they hire to change it who leaves the drain plug loose, or under or over  tightens the filter (or neglects to change it at all) or leaves the oil filler cap off the engine

The more often you need to have someone work on your car, the higher the probability one of them will screw something up

True story  -  My daughter took her car to the dealer for an oil and filter change and they left the filler cap off.  About the time she got home and shut the car off, she noticed smoke rolling out from under the hood.  A check showed she was a quart low.  Then, the dealer had to keep the  car two days to steam clean everything.  Better I guess than the finger tight drain plug stories I've heard so many times where all the oil runs out

I think the manufacturers realize that if your first service isn't due until after the warranty expires, there's much less chance one of their 'technicians' will screw something up which would require a new engine under warranty!

Don

I haven't either  -  Done 100% of all my maintenance myself, to include brake jobs, timing belts and everything else.  But . . . . I had *hoped* when we bought our TC that I would just take it in and let the dealer do everything  -  I'm getting too old to enjoy crawling under cars!

Unfortunately, my first trips to the two dealers closest to the house turned out to be very unpleasant experiences.  The first one charged me a 20% ($30) 'restocking fee' to return an accessory I had ordered which arrived broken  -  The box it came in had been opened and retaped shut half a dozen times before we got it, so pretty obvious this broken piece had been 'restocked' before

Took it to a second dealer for a warranty issue and also had them check on the rear wiper which wasn't working when we bought the car.  Took them a week to get the passenger window to roll up and down correctly and then they hit me with 'Fuses are not warranty items'.  They wanted a $99 'diagnostic fee' for changing the fuse.  When I asked why I needed to pay $99 to have a fuse changed, they said they needed to find out WHY the fuse blew out.  Why did it blow?  'We don't know  -  We replaced it and it didn't blow again'

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but even for me it's pretty easy to figure out that neither of these dealers want or need my business, so I guess I'm not retiring my ramps any time soon.  I'm coming up on my first oil change at 20,000 miles (Van had 13K when I bought it) and then the 13 quart transmission fluid change at 25,000 miles

I will make sure all the drain plugs are reinstalled correctly, and the oil filler cap too!

Don

• 3 months later...
On 4/20/2010 at 2:58 PM, madlock said:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOATRC/~MUS~LEN/40/10frdmg2e.pdf

I know the TC Owner's Manual and Service Guide recommends 5,000 miles miles and using Motorcraft Oil (which is a synthetic blend), I impose a 3,000-mile regimen with Mobil 1 (Always) on EVERY vehicle I own, and I've NEVER regretted it.

It also goes one hell of a long way to bolster value if selling to a private party.

You're wasting oil that could easily go 4 -5 times that mileage.

• 4 months later...

So I would like to relate my recent experience with the first service appointment for our 2017 TC. We have put a considerable amount of miles on the TC since we purchased it in July. I know the TC has the IOLM monitor but it had not put up any indicator for needing a change and we were close to 10K miles. I scheduled an appointment at a local dealer (we had purchased out of state due to lack of availability locally). The TC hit 10,003 miles as it rolled into the service bay. The service advisor was perplexed and concerned that I had waited till 10,000 miles for the service. They said it should have been 7500 miles at the latest. I offered to show them the manual and that shut them down from giving me a hard time. They did the 10K mile service (Oil+filter, tire rotation and the other items). I took the car home and my wife used the car Monday - Wednesday without any apparent issues. Thursday morning she texted a pic (below) after she felt something dragging under the car. I came home from work to investigate. I found one plastic rivet as the last remaining fastener still attaching the splash shield to the car. I removed the rivet, put the shield in the car and drove to the dealer. They reattached the shield and apologized for the inconvenience it caused.

I looked at how it was attached when I got home again and I am surprised that they appear to have not used all the fastener locations that were used at factory. There are three screws along the front edge and some along the rear edge but nothing else. I think it should have 8 fasteners but it appears to have only 5. I don't expect this from the dealer on a six month old vehicle in for its first service. I believe the original tech just forgot to reinstall the screws and only had a few plastic rivets holding it in place.

I do pretty much all my own maintenance on my other cars so this really bothers me.

28415303329_a47471b567_c.jpg

The factory recommended oil change interval over here (moderate climate with temps from -20F to +85F) is 20,000 km (12,430 miles).

I do it at 15K because I love overdoing it. So your maintenance minder was probably about to signal any day.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:19 PM, G B L said:

I haven't been to a dealer except for a warranty recall in 45 years.

I only have been to buy new vehicles. I never ever go back there for service.

The inspection is due next month and I will have the local garage change the oil at the same time. One stop shopping so to speak. Mileage is approaching 5k on the truck now.

Edited by OLDSCHOOLFOOL

WOW cannot understand a dealer putting the under tray back on so badly!  I'm at about 1,600 miles and thinking about an oil change but don't want that kind of service.  Will go with synthetic oil for sure but, probably what I can get at Costco as the TC does't run high oil temperatures.  Temperature is the biggest enemy of oil life, had a couple of VW 1.8 turbos which were the worst car I've ever seen for cooking the oil.  I generally do all of my out of warranty work.  

37 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Will go with synthetic oil for sure but, probably what I can get at Costco as the TC does't run high oil temperatures.

The Ecoboost is not aggressive on oil at all. My Castrol is still beautiful cherry syrup red 7000 miles in. 

Edited by mrtn

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
11 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

At last oil change, I used this brand.  Bought it for $40 / case of 12 quarts.

That's a good price. Where did you get it from?

Last oil change I could not get an appointment at the shop so I did it myself. I had said the first time I changed the oil myself I would toss the under-shield but it was SO easy I put it back on.

3 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

That's a good price. Where did you get it from?

Same place a case of 12 Motorcraft filters sold for $14.  Amazon, where prices surge and drop without reason.  

I just got a 5 quart jug of Castrol GTX Magnatec full synthetic for $16.  1 day delivery included.

• 2 months later...
On 7/13/2011 at 1:57 PM, tworock said:

I'm getting ready to do my first oil change on the TransCon and will be installing their model size F-106.

Along the way, the drain plug thread size changed.  On the 2nd generation, it's part no. 107.

fumoto.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2017 at 5:48 PM, Beta Don said:

If you use a quality filter, full synthetic 5W-20 and drive 10,000 miles per year or less, you can just change it once per year.  That's the 'schedule' we're using

Don

I resemble that remark,

Mobile 1 extended and the best filter I can find every 10,000 miles, 

Took a 2007 2.7 Ltr Toyota Tacoma to 528,000 miles, often pulled a 2,000 lb trailer. wore it out, low compression..

Took a 1996 Jeep Cherokee with the designed in 1957 amc 4.0 L upgraded to EFI to 394,000. rear main let go.

Mobile 1 has the right stuff, correct pfe and additive package I would think.

Edited by Osco

7 hours ago, Osco said:

I resemble that remark,

Mobile 1 extended and the best filter I can find every 10,000 miles, 

Mobile is a city in Alabama  -  The oil company is just Mobil . . . . owned by Exxon, the folks who polluted a large chunk of Alaska and then rather than cleaning it up, they hired lawyers to keep from having to pay the Alaskans who lost much of their livelyhood because of their oil spill.  Neither company will ever sell me a dimes worth of anything.  Luckily, there are half a dozen oils just as good or better . . . . made by more environmentally friendly companies

Don