Ford Transit Connect Forum

Oil

jshelby861

What kind of oil is everyone using? and what interval are you servicing your T.C.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOATRC/~MUS~LEN/40/10frdmg2e.pdf

I know the TC Owner's Manual and Service Guide recommends 5,000 miles miles and using Motorcraft Oil (which is a synthetic blend), I impose a 3,000-mile regimen with Mobil 1 (Always) on EVERY vehicle I own, and I've NEVER regretted it.

It also goes one hell of a long way to bolster value if selling to a private party.

• 2 months later...

I change my oil every 5,000 miles. I use 5W-20 Mobil One, with a Mobil One - 102 filter.

I know that I am fussy, but I like doing the oil change myself. This way I can control the drain time. I am under no pressure to make more money by taking care of the next car. I can let my car drain for an hour, or more. That way I am getting out the very last drop of the old oil. I also get some time to poke around under the hood, look at the hoses, examine the belt and check all of the other fluid levels.

I AM ALSO A MAINTENANCE FREAK. I CHANGE MY OIL EVERY 3000 MILES, USE CASTROL 5W-20 SYNTHETIC BLEND AND FRAM OR PURE ONE FILTERS. OIL CHANGES ARE THE CHEAPEST INSURANCE YOU CAN BUY. I HAVE ALWAYS FOLLOWED THIS FORMAT WITH ALL OF MY PREVIOUS FORD VANS AND HAVE GOTTEN IN EXCESS OF 350,000 MILES ON THEM WITH OUT BURNING OIL. IT IS ALSO" PIECE OF MIND" THAT I DO IT MY SELF AND I ALWAYS DO A COMPLETE CHECK ON FLUIDS AND UNDERCARRIAGE WHILE I'M AT IT. FIX IT BEFORE IT BREAKS, IT KEEPS THE VEHICLE ON THE ROAD MAKING MONEY, WITH MINIMAL DOWN TIME.

WOODY

• 1 month later...

Woody, might reconsider the Fram filters, not the same quality as in the good old days. FWIW, Wix & NAPA GOLD (made by Wix) are the best non-specialty filters available. Luberfiner is also another top quality filter and actually was making Motorcraft filters, or were when I retired from the fleet maintenance field 5 years ago. OEM brand filters tend to change manufacturers from time to time. Castrol is my oil of choice also. BUT, until my TC is out of warranty it goes to the Ford dealership for service every 5000 miles, goes in for it's first next week. That way if it goes FUBAR I can fight with Ford using their records. Yes, I still have my reservations! :unsure:

Edited by ncranchero

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I see a couple of recommendations for synthetic oil. Anyone have any reservations on using synthetic oil before 10,000 miles.

Also, I just got mine. Where is the oil filter located and what tools are needed?

Stan, i have had nothing but synthetic oil in mine from the start. When you open the hood look straight down you'll see the filter. Be sure your not voiding the warentee by doing the oil changes yourself. I would love to do my own but it appears that would'nt be wise.

• 1 month later...

^^ Well apparently my company's choice of fleet management service believes that to be the case. Their specified oil change interval is 7,500 miles. I took the van to my local Ford dealer at 3,300 miles to try to get it's first oil change. They told me no! Said the fleet management company would refuse it due to the low mileage. They told me to come back when I have 5,000 and see if the fleet management company will allow me to change it on the "severe duty" schedule. Seems ridiculous to me but as long as I change it when recommended I'm good when the engine grenades I guess.

^^ Well apparently my company's choice of fleet management service believes that to be the case. Their specified oil change interval is 7,500 miles. I took the van to my local Ford dealer at 3,300 miles to try to get it's first oil change. They told me no! Said the fleet management company would refuse it due to the low mileage. They told me to come back when I have 5,000 and see if the fleet management company will allow me to change it on the "severe duty" schedule. Seems ridiculous to me but as long as I change it when recommended I'm good when the engine grenades I guess.

Just to re iterate my last comment heres another link

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/111525/what-car-mechanics-wont-tell-you?mod=family-auto

5000 is usually the norm !

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

While we're talking about oil changes: Are you folks familiar with the Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve. My other vehicle is a Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel). One of the things other owners and I found was that putting a steel drain plug into an aluminum pan quickly wore out the threads in the pan even with dealer oil changes. The L.O.S.T. solution quickly became the Fumoto Valve once we had moved on to our second pans. I'm getting ready to do my first oil change on the TransCon and will be installing their model size F-106. Once it's in, no more in and out.

Here's the link;

http://www.fumotousa.com/

Runs in the neighborhood of $25.00 plus shipping.

One other thing; the Connect took on a deer eastbound on I-80 near Elyria, OH at 65mph and survived. Repair cost in the neighborhood of $7,600.00

While we're talking about oil changes: Are you folks familiar with the Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve. My other vehicle is a Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel). One of the things other owners and I found was that putting a steel drain plug into an aluminum pan quickly wore out the threads in the pan even with dealer oil changes. The L.O.S.T. solution quickly became the Fumoto Valve once we had moved on to our second pans. I'm getting ready to do my first oil change on the TransCon and will be installing their model size F-106. Once it's in, no more in and out.

Here's the link;

http://www.fumotousa.com/

Runs in the neighborhood of $25.00 plus shipping.

One other thing; the Connect took on a deer eastbound on I-80 near Elyria, OH at 65mph and survived. Repair cost in the neighborhood of $7,600.00

I have one fitted as well . You need the extention Fitting as well to keep it off the casing a little .

Cabmeister, what size extension was that (or, are there multiple sizes of extensions?) Does it come with one of those blue washers and did you use both washers? Lastly, did you Loctite them in and what color did you use?

As far as I can remember there is only one size extention and specific to the ford threading etc. In other words the model # you purchased for the vehicle should have the part to order as an option if your oil pan drain hole is set back a little from the main casting .

I just went out to refresh my memory and yes I used both washers and they are blue but never use any loctite on either .the extention is about 7/8" to 1" there abouts.

I hope that helps.

Well, heck, I'm not a particularly large guy (6'1' - 195 lbs.)

How the heck do you fellas get under these things to do an oil change!?

I just reach under the front bumper, without raising the car. I don't even have to put my head underneath. Really there is quite a lot of room to work. What sort of problem are you having?

Willie, my real name is Willie, and I know when I'm NOT being taken for a ride!

I'm a 44 Long and there is no getting under for me...but I did take a couple of 2"x10"x14" long and put the butt up to the front tires and drove on up! That 2" allowed me to slip right under just like a cement curb. Coming out is a whole different adventure, but if your ability to exhale is impaired you're in deep doo-doo...

I'm extra glad I've now installed the Fumoto WITH THE ADAPTOR. In a couple of days I'll have the proper parts numbers. By the next time I need to do an oil change, I'll be chuckling at Ford, maybe, and reaching with my extra, extra long arm that I intend to grow by then.