Ford Transit Connect Forum

Fan knob

Yangmoua2

A few days ago I was driving with the fan going just fine than suddenly the fan just stopped working in stage one two and three.. When i turn the nob all the way to full blast at setting four it works.. I am concerned it may be blower motor I checked all the fuse and they seem to be fine with light tester... Could it be a relay or do you think this is the switch? Thankyou...

The blower motor only has a single speed winding, which is high speed. In order to get slower speeds out of it, a resistor bridge is used, which reduces the current to the motor - and slowing it down... Sounds like you lost this resistor pack, which is located under the passenger side dash.

I have also experienced the same problem when the plug going into the resistor pack had melted due to heat from the overloaded connectors (I suggest you replace the pollen filter in time). So, I bought the resistor pack and eventually did not have to replace it. Fixed the plug.

Yesterday it started working again for half the day then cut back off.. Underneath the passenger dash I will have to take a look although I'm not sure what I will be looking for.. And might be a dumb question but is there a pollen filter on a 2010 transit xlt? Is this behind the passenger glove box?

Your Transit doesn't come with a cabin filter, but does have a place to install one. It's located below the passenger side wiper cowl. With the hood up, remove the screws securing that part of the cowl and remove. Remove the plastic square hole grate that covers the filter bay. Install filter & either keep or discard the grate, as it will not re-install with filter in place. Fram makes one that's a carbon hybrid for odor control... Part # CF9118A

Ok update I called service department explained to him how I believe it could be my blower resistor and asked for estimate on cost to replace.l service advisor didn't give me a price but suggested replacing blower motor with resistor.. Well I purchased blower resistor BWD part number RU1120.. Will I need any special tools? Do I need to remove the dash? Any links to a step by step process or can anyone share a little time in this I would greatly appreciate your help

Wow did it with a Phillips screw driver... Easy location dash removal wasn't needed...IT WORKS!! Problem solved old one had burned connections.. Is it suppose to get hot? I plugged it in turned on fan everything worked fine except new resistor got really hot really fast, is this normal?

Well that didn't last long the resistor went out again .. Do u think it's time to replace blower motor? I don't want to keep replacing resistors even though they say it has a life time warranty my guess is the warranty won't cover it burning out like this

Hello Yangmoua2. Although the blower resistor is usually the problem when the fan only works on the high speed setting, you clearly have another issue. The Transit Connect Workshop Manual has multiple tests for your problem (fan only working on high speed), none of them lead to replacing the blower motor. There are 5 tests, one leads to replacing the blower motor resistor, the other four are tests between the blower motor switch and the blower motor to check for bad wiring and tests between the blower motor switch and the circuits it is connected too for a check of the switch itself. You mention the connector that plugs into (what?) is burnt, the blower resistor or the blower switch? That may cause your problem, but a follow up question is why did it burn? The blower resistor gets very hot, but the connector should not burn! There is no heat generated by the switch, at least not enough to burn the connector.

None of the above leads to a definite solution, only adds to your knowledge of the problem, possible wiring (connector) or switch and eliminates the blower motor as the problem.

Yes the connector plug that connects to the resistor is burned on one terminal all the plastic around it has melted. Blower motor works fine at full blast ..old resistor has a burned terminal.. The switch seems fine when replacing the old plug with new one will I need to splice the wire? Or is it a harness that connects directly from switch to resistor?