Ford Transit Connect Forum

Back up sensors not working

gordow

when i put my van in reverse, after a couple of seconds i get i high pitched noise from the dash that lasts about 10 seconds or so, as in a warning buzzer.

after it goes out i continue backing up but the sensors don't react to anything getting in their path.

would this be a warning indicator that a fuse has blown, or does it mean that one or more of the sensors is bad? Or the whole system?

i don't see a fuse in the manual that states its for the back up sensors.

if it is a bad sensor would i be able to disconnect them one at a time and see if they start to work or the buzzer doesn't activate? can the system work okay if one of them is disconnected?

thanks to all.

Tough questions gordow. Here is what I can contribute. The Parking Aid (that is the official Ford terminology) uses fuse 152 in the Central Junction Box (the fuse panel to the left of the sterring column). Fuse 152 is in the fifth row from the top, fourth from the left in a row of five fuses. It is a 7.5 amp fuse. Errors in the Parking Aid, as most electronic automotive systems, throw trouble codes. There are seventeen trouble codes, B1299, B1342, B2477, C1699, C1700-1710, C1742, C1743, each refering to a different part in the Parking Aid.

If you do not have a test tool to pull the trouble codes, they can be displayed on the LCD screen on your dash cluster. If any of the above codes appear, you have found the problem. I started a topic about how to use the LCD screen on the dash to show trouble codes a few years ago, here is the URL http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/636-fuel-mileage-display/?hl=dash#entry4606 , my post is the fifth one in the string. You can Google the trouble code for a description or go to this website for a complete list of Ford Trouble codes http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_images/customer_support_article-pdf-41.pdf Good Luck.

Edited by 103west43rd

Tough questions gordow. Here is what I can contribute. The Parking Aid (that is the official Ford terminology) uses fuse 152 in the Central Junction Box (the fuse panel to the left of the sterring column). Fuse 152 is in the fifth row from the top, fourth from the left in a row of five fuses. It is a 7.5 amp fuse. Errors in the Parking Aid, as most electronic automotive systems, throw trouble codes. There are seventeen trouble codes, B1299, B1342, B2477, C1699, C1700-1710, C1742, C1743, each refering to a different part in the Parking Aid.

If you do not have a test tool to pull the trouble codes, they can be displayed on the LCD screen on your dash cluster. If any of the above codes appear, you have found the problem. I started a topic about how to use the LCD screen on the dash to show trouble codes a few years ago, here is the URL http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/636-fuel-mileage-display/?hl=dash#entry4606 , my post is the fifth one in the string. You can Google the trouble code for a description or go to this website for a complete list of Ford Trouble codes http://www.edgeproducts.com/product_images/customer_support_article-pdf-41.pdf Good Luck.

Thanks for the info on the LCD screen, i have a copy of that post already in the van and will check it out tomorrow to see if any of the codes above are showing.

Will post what i find.

Okay, an update.

Tried looking for the codes on the dash display, the only thing that came close was "DTC C121 and C127" couldn't find anything about those codes anywhere.

I put the vehicle in reverse and put my ear to the sensors, the outside left , inside right and outside right you could here a fast ticking noise coming from them , the inside left sensor there was no noise.

I tried disconnecting the non ticking sensor but still got the shrill buzzer for ten seconds then nothing. I'm assuming that maybe that sensor is shot and the system needs all of them in working order and all plugged in for it to work properly.

So am i to assume that a new sensor is required??

Hello gordow. Strange about your DTC's. Those codes are not listed anywhere in Ford's list of DTC's. As per Ford, " The parking aid system is disabled if a fault is detected in any of the four sensors, the parking aid speaker or the PAM (Parking Aid Module)". Also as per Ford, "If no DTC's related to the concern are retrieved, go to the Symptom Chart". The Symptom Chart only has three items, the one that may apply to your issue is, "Continuous or intermittent tone when no obstacles or fault codes are present". The three possible causes listed are, dirty or iced over sensors, sensor not locked into the bumper correctly, sensor not aligned correctly. I am sure those sensors are expensive and I would not buy one just as a guess.

• 3 years later...

My TC lit up yesterday with the Parking Aid  Fault Service Required warning, as well as the Air Bag, ABS, and Brake warning lights lit. Additionally, the steering was harder, as if the power steering was not fully powered.  At the dealer now, and despite diagnostics and what appears to be previously known Ford issues, the mechanic still seems to be perplexed.

WOW, sounds like a limp mode!  Was power normal.  Mystified power steering was affected unless it was a more general electrical fault or computer was having a Microsoft day.  I eagerly looking for updates and hope they get it solved quickly.