Ford Transit Connect Forum

Ford Sync Changes from Microsoft to Blackberry's QNX OS

windguy

just read this article from February 2014. "Why Microsoft lost Ford Sync: Too costly, too slow, and too hard to use"

apologize if this topic was posted elsewhere on this forum

there are few articles out there on this subject. Below are two links

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/177171-why-microsoft-lost-ford-sync#disqus_thread

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Ford+to+Replace+Microsoft+with+Blackberrys+QNX+in+Sync+MyFord+Touch+Interface/article34383.htm

From what I read, it doesn't mention the change for the 2015 TC models.

I'm not a gadget type of guy but it's interesting.

Maybe others have some input on this.

I've actually never had a problem with my SYNC system - ever. In fact, I love it. I think the problem might lay in the MyFordTouch system when accompanied with the SYNC and that's where Ford is taking a beating in their ratings from Consumer Reports, etc.

SYNC by itself works great.

I've actually never had a problem with my SYNC system - ever. In fact, I love it. I think the problem might lay in the MyFordTouch system when accompanied with the SYNC and that's where Ford is taking a beating in their ratings from Consumer Reports, etc.

SYNC by itself works great.

that's good feedback. thanks.

below is a cut/paste from the first link I provided. I'm guessing that if you want to get the navigation system as an option, then you have to get MyFord Touch.

"Ford could choose to continue, modify, or abandon the MyFord Touch interface. Sync is the car-Bluetooth-USB-voice recognition component. MyFord Touch and the similar MyLincoln Touch are touchscreen interfaces that break the home screen into four quadrants: phone, navigation, entertainment, and climate control. (It’s possible to have Sync without a touchscreen.) Separate from Ford’s plans to move away from Microsoft, it is planning to add more knob and buttons to the center stack and simplify voice response. Lincoln on new models will move from capacitive sliders to traditional knobs for audio volume and fan speed. That starts on some 2015 models."

Edited by windguy

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I've had an issue with the Sync infotainment system in my 2014 TC not accepting "set time" values.  Very frustrating.  It's clearly a software bug, as I think I discovered a "workaround" was to change the clock from 12-hr to 24-hr, and then back to 12-hr, and then the clock can be changed.

I even updated my version of sync to the latest version (a process involving downloading the firmware to a USB memory stick, and plugging that into the transit connect USB port while undergoing a special, half hour long procedure to get it to update).

Based on the clock not being able to be set as expected bug, not even fixed in the latest software, I'm not impressed at all by the Microsoft sync software used in the transit connect!

Edited by jakeru