Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rear Door Panel Removal

madlock

I'm certain it's just a matter of personal stupidity, but I'm having a bugger of a time removing the rear door particle board panels. It can't possibly be as tough as I'm experiencing, so I hope someone can perhaps share the deep dark secret of removing them.

Oh, and of course, this would happen to be the ONE time when my impulsiveness managed to overcome my anal retentiveness, so I did the dumbest thing possible and used a metal blade and gouging one of the panels. Any line on a replacement or anyone with an undamaged donor to contribute in exchange for enough cash to make it worth your while would be greatly appreciated, presuming wiring the back-up camera through the doors doesn't just kill me first.

Many thanks.

Well, I've managed to locate the replacement part to order a set of replacement trim panels, but in my search I seem to have stumbled across a parts diagram that either includes some European bleed over from Tourneo Connect or perhaps some items that may be in-store for 2011.

Door%20Panel.jpg

45220A is the panel that exists in today's North American Transit Connect.

45220B, although there's no direct part entry in the vehicle-specific menu, seems to be a trim cover of some sort (hallelujah).

45220C appears to be something entirely different, perhaps a recessed storage "cubby hole".

Then, we seem to have an entirely different one-piece liftgate assembly detailed below. Anyone have any insight as to what this might be?

Thanks.

My guess is that is a panel that would match the style of the panels on the sliding doors. Looks like the the fastener (blind fastener) that is associated with it attaches to the back..

I agree. Wouldn't it be nice if Ford were to offer even these simplest of alternatives for "freshening up" the interior? I'm particularly interested in the wholesale different back-end.

The same could be said of the wheel covers Ford UK offers. They're very simple, no fancier than the plastic snap-in jobbies available here, but they're just a whole lot nicer.

Considering that not even touch-up paint is yet available, I'm seriously thinking of doing a quick roundtrip to Frankfurt or London to take a look at first-hand and perhaps pick-up a small compliment of individual accessories. By the time shipping and time are taken into account, the New York brief roundtrip wouldn't be any more expensive.

Edited by madlock

Very Interesting! My first guess would be that the 45220C is a place to mount rear speakers but who knows.

From pictures I have seen of european TC's, 45220C along with 62870 form a storage pocket in the rear doors with 62870 being the mesh front of it.

• 2 weeks later...

After some more research I found that 45220C is the mesh front storage pocket for the rear doors. My friendly ford parts guy found them is his system. But the system says they are unavailable in the US and won't allow him to order them.

Some of my Focus driving friends have gotten a lot of "euro" parts for their car so I am going to try their sources. If all else fails I will wait till my neighbor goes to France in 2 months and hve him pick me up some.

After some more research I found that 45220C is the mesh front storage pocket for the rear doors. My friendly ford parts guy found them is his system. But the system says they are unavailable in the US and won't allow him to order them.

Some of my Focus driving friends have gotten a lot of "euro" parts for their car so I am going to try their sources. If all else fails I will wait till my neighbor goes to France in 2 months and hve him pick me up some.

Thanks, Hal.

If you'd care to share your "eurosources", I'd love to throw some extra bidness their way! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I removed my particle board panels by using as standard auto parts store auto panel removal tool. It is a flat steel tool with a slot down the middle and a rudimentary handle on the end. The edge of the business end is tapered to allow the tool to slide under the round plastic fasteners. The tool has a slight bend in it to allow you to rock the tool and pop the plastic fasteners out.

I used the particle boards as a template to make new panels out of 1" five layer plywood. I used the plywood to reduce vibration and to support the weight of the speakers. The 1" also give me an extra inch for the depth of the speakers. I covered that in blue vinyl to match the rest of the Transit Connect and installed Kenwood 6x9" 5 way speakers in the new panels. I used well nuts to install my new rear speaker panels.

Edited by Top Cat

• 2 months later...

I'm having 6x9s put in my rear doors too. The installer offered to cover the stock panels in carpet to improve the look, along with some dynamat behind them to help the sound. Any idea if the 1/8" masonite is strong enough to hold speakers with no other help? I think they have the tools and materials to make replacement from 1/2" MDF.

I'm having 6x9s put in my rear doors too. The installer offered to cover the stock panels in carpet to improve the look, along with some dynamat behind them to help the sound. Any idea if the 1/8" masonite is strong enough to hold speakers with no other help? I think they have the tools and materials to make replacement from 1/2" MDF.

I don't think the particle board/masonite is the problem, I think the weight is. I put speednuts on the doors and used screws to attach the panels back. It has held up for 9 months now.

Roland C.

Happily Transiting :shift:

I don't think the particle board/masonite is the problem, I think the weight is. I put speednuts on the doors and used screws to attach the panels back. It has held up for 9 months now. Roland C.

Happily Transiting :shift:

Thanks, Roland. The local shop is putting the speakers in as I type this. They made new panels from 5/8" truepan (lightweight MDF), and are running down some longer push-in clips to match the factory ones. I mentioned your concern about weight, but with so many clips they weren't concerned. If it becomes an issue I know they'll fix it. This shop is impressing me with their attention to detail so far.

4D

• 6 months later...

I purchased the auto panel removal tool that TopCat recommended. It worked flawlessly. I then scuff-sanded the rear door panels, primered them, and painted them with a textured spray paint. The color matches the dark gray trim and they look fabulous.

I installed 6 x 9 speakers in the 1/8" masonite a few months ago and they are physically holding up, but I'm sure heavier plywood, or even better yet, MDF would sound better. Plywood could buzz from

any voids in the interior plys of wood. The panel removing tool I used had a rather blunt tip to it, so I ground it down. You still need to be gentle with the plastic panel retainers and they will get brittle in the cold.

I plan on making new thicker panels, round over the edges with a router and use screws with speed nuts to reinstall. Primer gray paint would work nice with my silver TC.

• 2 months later...

I'm certain it's just a matter of personal stupidity, but I'm having a bugger of a time removing the rear door particle board panels. It can't possibly be as tough as I'm experiencing, so I hope someone can perhaps share the deep dark secret of removing them.

Oh, and of course, this would happen to be the ONE time when my impulsiveness managed to overcome my anal retentiveness, so I did the dumbest thing possible and used a metal blade and gouging one of the panels. Any line on a replacement or anyone with an undamaged donor to contribute in exchange for enough cash to make it worth your while would be greatly appreciated, presuming wiring the back-up camera through the doors doesn't just kill me first.

Many thanks.

Hello,

You may be interested in doing an upgrade to the rear door panels instead of spending money on a replacement. The original partical boards are somewhat unattractive to say the least. Check out this replacement panel set from Adrian Steel;

http://www.adrianste...nect/1219/SLPTC

-To remove my original panel I used a small diameter nylon rope, about an arms length. With your finger nail or some none metal flat object (i.e. plastic picnic knife) lift the edge of the snap it buttons that hold the panel in place.

-Take the thin rope and slide it under the button

-Make a couple of loops around the button stem and pull firmly, but be sure not to get too rough with it. (pull and strangle)

-With both ends on each end of the rope pull out and side to side until the button comes out.

This was a revelation from above, it was so low tech and too easy I actually had a laugh about it when all was done.

It will not only compliment the Transit's interior looks but provide more loading space for cargo and a 6 foot ladder.

Edited by lanepono

• 2 months later...

45220c is the storage/net in the rear doors which are included

in the XLT Wagon Premium - which also has the rear side

venting windows,

and rear side interior trim panels covering the rear wheel humps

from the brochure:

"With the new XLT Premium, you also get

a 4-speaker audio system, enhanced rear-cargo area trim including a

storage pocket in the door, rear-quarter flip-open windows and more..."

Edited by cdiesel

• 1 month later...