Ford Transit Connect Forum

Ford Transit Connect Manual Transmission Kit

I am selling my complete Ford Transit Connect Manual Transmission swap kit. Most of the major components are from a 2008-2011 Ford Focus. The mechanical and wiring is almost identical between the 2008-2011 Focus and the 2010-2013 Ford Transit Connect. The Transit Connect specific parts were imported from Europe.

I assembled all these parts to do a manual transmission swap in a 2010 Transit Connect. I did extensive research on the subject. These parts will all bolt right in and there is just a small wiring change required pertaining to the neutral safety switch required to make it all work. The goal of the swap was to make it more fun to drive, lower maintenance costs, and improve fuel economy.

It includes:
1. Manual Transmission with all mounts and sensors 3.56 Final Drive (from 2009 Focus w/ 60k miles)
2. Manual transmission wiring harness and ECU (from 2009 Focus w/ 60k miles)
3. Shift linkage with cables (from 2009 Focus w/ 60k miles)
4. Clutch and brake pedal assembly (from 2009 Focus w/ 60k miles)
5. Jack shaft and CV shafts (from 2009 Focus w/ 60k miles)
6. Clutch and Flywheel (from 2009 Focus w/ 60k miles)
7. Clutch reservoir and hydraulic lines (from 2009 Focus w/ 60k miles)
8. Shifter surround, boot, and know (from LHD German Transit Connect, New parts)
9. Electronic copies of the wiring diagrams of both the Transit Connect, an Automatic Ford Focus, and a Manual Ford Focus.

I am asking $700. This is what I paid for the transmission by itself.

IMG_6913.JPG

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

his post was from 2013 maybe thats why the tranny was that expensive , there is a ton of trannys on ebay for around 300 and less , you could probably put everything together for around 700 or 800, waaaay less that an auto transmission, i dont understand why there isnt a lot of swaps out there

• 2 months later...

Mrtn, have you detailed your conversion process anywhere? I've considered doing this for a long time but this discussion is the first place I've found people who've *done* it. Did you use the same array of parts listed in the kit for sale above?

There should not be any problems with the swap if you have all the listed parts. $700 sounds really expensive for a used transmission. I bought mine (did a TC manual-Focus manual swap as mine was showing some wear at 250,000 km) for $180.

Mrtn, have you detailed your conversion process anywhere? I've considered doing this for a long time but this discussion is the first place I've found people who've *done* it. Did you use the same array of parts listed in the kit for sale above?

• 1 year later...

hi 

well i did swap a manual tranny on my 2010 tc , its pretty much a bolt on parts from a manual focus, everything fits like the are the same car , brake and clutch hoses are identical, shifter and shifter cables are exactly the same and same lenght , clutch pedal and master cylinder are the same , in the exact same position , there is even a clutch line guide that bolts on behind the abs module that has the right hole and guide to bolt it on and has the perfect angle , all motor mounts and tranny mount are the same as the auto tranny, all the mechanical stuff is in, but i meay need some help with the wiring and computer stuff

IMG_3163.JPG

IMG_3164.JPG

• 2 months later...

OZO,

How did you make out with this?

I've had no issues with my manual(MTX) in the 02 Focus, and 04.

the 02 has the FSwerks turbo in it. it seems to be bullet proof(manual transmission!!)

I'd honestly rather spend $$ on working out a solid solution than rebuilding the auto as so many have had to do.

:(

Edited by lordyfordy
reference to my 02 Transmission!

• 1 month later...

Good news Everyone !!

and some bad!

manual transmission is in the transit , absoloutly everything fits and the connect is made for it, no drilling or cutting of any kind , the shifter and shifter cables , fit , clutch lines and clutch lines brackets fit , tranny of course fits , no engine mounts or tranny mounts needed as they are the same as the auto! ,  the passanger side axle and intermediate shaft has to be from a manual focus as the drive line is slightly different  but is all direct bolt on.

Now we have to figure out the immobilizer , and electronic part of puzzle, i swapped the computer with a manual focus computer , but it wont start cause the security system , any ideas welcome , we have been thinking of a few solutions but have not have time to work on it in the past few months, will restart the project early november !

Edited by ozo101

by the way , the cost of all the parts for the swap so far is less than an used auto tranny, manual box  was a few hundred bucks  and that was the most expensive part , everythig is avialable from your dealer or autoparts store .

On 4/8/2016 at 7:57 PM, ozo101 said:

you could probably put everything together for around 700 or 800, waaaay less that an auto transmission, i dont understand why there isnt a lot of swaps out there

I think I know why

You've been at this since April of 2016 and it's still not running.  While  it can be done by someone with the right skills,  obviously it's not as simple as it looks.  Not everyone can do without their vehicle for almost 2 years while they work to get it finished up and running and when you consider the time and labor involved, getting a rebuilt auto tranny installed is probably still the cheaper way to go

That said, I LOVE these sorts of projects and I hope you get your immobilizer issues solved quickly and get it on the road

There's another thread here where someone is doing the same thing to a Gen 2 (actually, he's paying someone to do the swap) and it's turned into quite a project too and I don't think they have it on the road yet either.  These things always seem to end up a lot more complicated than they look at first glance and sometimes they never get done . . . . and the parts end up sold to someone else

These swaps were certainly much simpler 30 years ago when you didn't have to deal with computers and CAN Busses  -  Almost any halfway capable shade tree mechanic could swap a Mustang or Camaro from an automatic to a manual in one easy weekend . . . . and it would start and run first turn of the key

Don

we`ll figure it out 

I got the transit with a bad tranny for this project after reading this tread, parts were cheap and the non running van was cheap too, it took about two afternoons, me and my friend to swap all the mechanical parts, I think i may have to get another manual computer , this time with matching key and immobilizer module, and well see what happens , my busy season is coming to and end so ill have time to work things out.

Edited by ozo101