Ford Transit Connect Forum

Transient Connection

zepper

Hi all,

Since deciding on the Transit for my next do-all camper/race hauler, I've sold my trailer and will be selling my 2004 F150 in an effort to go straight accross into the Transit (i.e. no financing, just paying cash) . In order to do this I will probably pick up a low mile used one. I've been scouring the Auto Trader for listings here in california but as of yesterday there was exactly 1 in cali and approx 55 in the USA. Here in Cali we have strict emissions laws and rules regarding out of state vehicles being bought and brought in and registered. One of the requirements is 7700 miles on the clock, not really a problem, the other is 50 state emissions approved stamped on the VIN plate in the door. I know they make the transit as a 49 state vehicle but I am wondering if there are other states out there that get it as a 50 state vehicle besides California. This possibility would broaden my search. What would be really ideal is if Wisconsin or South Carolina got 50 state vehicles as I have family in those states.

Can you guys and gals check your VIN plates for me and report back?? :idea:

Hi all,

Since deciding on the Transit for my next do-all camper/race hauler, I've sold my trailer and will be selling my 2004 F150 in an effort to go straight accross into the Transit (i.e. no financing, just paying cash) . In order to do this I will probably pick up a low mile used one. I've been scouring the Auto Trader for listings here in california but as of yesterday there was exactly 1 in cali and approx 55 in the USA. Here in Cali we have strict emissions laws and rules regarding out of state vehicles being bought and brought in and registered. One of the requirements is 7700 miles on the clock, not really a problem, the other is 50 state emissions approved stamped on the VIN plate in the door. I know they make the transit as a 49 state vehicle but I am wondering if there are other states out there that get it as a 50 state vehicle besides California. This possibility would broaden my search. What would be really ideal is if Wisconsin or South Carolina got 50 state vehicles as I have family in those states.

Can you guys and gals check your VIN plates for me and report back?? :idea:

The 50 SE issue is indeed ab odd one as there seems to be no difference whatsoever in dealer cost, economics, performance, or indeed, even the emissions themselves. FL vehicles I've seen are not 50, yet those sold here in NJ and PA seem to be. You

can check individual vehicles yourself by supplying VINs to Ford's online Window Sticker tool.

I'd advise contacting the fleet ordering manager at a dealer in various states to determine the whats and wherefores. Given the regrettably low resale values seen thus far, yours may be a wise path given the huge inventories Ford is going to have to start incentivizing soon to clear.

The Ford VIN check is a great idea thanks!!!

Good idea!

Buyers remorse is always better BEFORE the purchase.

Stepping back from all the hype and taking a look from the outside in should allow you to make a wise decision. As for me, I'm a little disappointed that Ford got us all lathered up with the pics of the European version and then only offer, well, what they offer here stateside. I expected a Sport Truck with windows all around, aluminum wheels and a 6-spd and not what we've got so far. I've only found 1 aluminum wheel that will fit it and Ford offers nothing thru parts.

post-339-126827238519_thumb.jpg

post-339-126827239719_thumb.jpg

post-339-126827241094_thumb.jpg

post-339-126827245985_thumb.jpg

Edited by MINICooperS

Good idea!

Buyers remorse is always better BEFORE the purchase.

Stepping back from all the hype and taking a look from the outside in should allow you to make a wise decision. As for me, I'm a little disappointed that Ford got us all lathered up with the pics of the European version and then only offer, well, what they offer here stateside. I expected a Sport Truck with windows all around, aluminum wheels and a 6-spd and not what we've got so far. I've only found 1 aluminum wheel that will fit it and Ford offers nothing thru parts.

I dunno. I never got the impression that Ford was going to launch TC in North America as anything but what they've ultimately provided. The 3-row sibling was always delineated as the Tourneo connect; and while there's been some "Auto Show Glitz", I don't ever recall it being touted as anything but future potential and design spit-balling.

In Europe, Tourneo has a decidedly more passenger-centric interior design feel, but it's not of any particularly higher materials quality or even a step "above" Transit, just "different". As for being a "sport truck", I don't recall ever seeing anything even remotely "sporty" about Transit Connect no matter which market it happens to serve. And given the 1.8 TDCi being offered in Europe, the little 2.0 L 4-banger petrol for North America is downright spritely by comparison, the various axle ratios offered in Europe notwithstanding. While there are indeed many different offerings in terms of a short wheel base, and "Crew" versions, about the only enhcancements Europe has North America doesn't are for the "Limited" trim level with some accessories like color keyed mirror and handle caps and grille, a leather steering wheel, and some interior trim accents.

I've seen scads of wheels available from 3rd parties all the way up to 18". Ford Europe offers Aluminum wheels for Transit Connect on the Trend and Limited trim or as accessory items, but I suspect the lack of other options is far more likely to result from wheel makers not updating their compatibility reference indexes to include Transit Connect rather than Transit Connect being an altogether unique dimension or bolt pattern. If you're really in the hunt for wheels, I'm sure you can do your own cross-compatibility investigation.

What cheeses me off most are the little things that seem disingenuous. What's marketed as a "Nokia Bluetooth" system here, seems to be nothing more than the steering wheel audio controls that are standard in Europe and the deliberate "dumbing down" of certain things like the side mirrors and deleting fog lamps altogether. Even so, I never got the impression by Ford or saw any marketing materials that led me to believe that North American Transit Connect would be something it ultimately wasn't.

A lot of this will get better when stateside production begins, and there are even some improvements that will be here for 2011. I do know Ford was surprised at how well the XLT Wagon was received, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the passenger-oriented features become available in 2011.

Funny you should mention that. Here I am live at the National Truck Equipment Show and yesterday we had our 2011 update from Ford for the commercial trucks. They touched on the TC a little. We have our National Truck Club meeting with the head of Ford Commerfcial in a littlw while. I hope to find out a little more info at that time but for now here is what I know.

Ford will make the power equipmentr group available on the XL model.

The XLT Wagon will get the rear quarter windows.

New Colors.

Freshened up interior on XLT.

As I find out more info, i will post it.

I also found two suppliers that make a sidewall liner that looks pretty good and finishes off the cargo area pretty well; one is Adrian and the other is Leggett & Platt [MasterRack].

There are a lot more shelf packages available form other manufacturers and I found a back up camera that mounts above the license plate. There were a lot of upfittred TC's that I hope to post pictures when I get back as for some reason my card reader is not working correctly.

Funny you should mention that. Here I am live at the National Truck Equipment Show and yesterday we had our 2011 update from Ford for the commercial trucks. They touched on the TC a little. We have our National Truck Club meeting with the head of Ford Commerfcial in a littlw while. I hope to find out a little more info at that time but for now here is what I know.

Ford will make the power equipmentr group available on the XL model.

The XLT Wagon will get the rear quarter windows.

New Colors.

Freshened up interior on XLT.

As I find out more info, i will post it.

I also found two suppliers that make a sidewall liner that looks pretty good and finishes off the cargo area pretty well; one is Adrian and the other is Leggett & Platt [MasterRack].

There are a lot more shelf packages available form other manufacturers and I found a back up camera that mounts above the license plate. There were a lot of upfittred TC's that I hope to post pictures when I get back as for some reason my card reader is not working correctly.

Great news as I prepare mine for trade, yet again. :)

Fog lamps are also purported to be coming as they are on the EU "Trend" and "Limited" trim. I've seen the L&P cladding in-person and it's very nice. It's much better than Sortimo's Sowaflex. I also saw it in white, which looked dynamite, but was contractually prohibited from bein sold to any retail customer.

I don't know whether to cheer-on substantial interior improvements or take the "misery loves company" tack. :)

MiniCooper, I have to agree with Madlock, there are many wheels available for the transit connect. Almost any modern Volvo wheel will fit it. (5 x 108 and offset in the 45-60mm range hooray for small brakes) As a plus the ford center caps will fit the volvo (ford owned company) wheels as they are probably manufactured but the same supplier. In Europe they fit 19" wheels from Ford Mondeo Rs' that look really good but i think i'll go with a more modest 17".

Hey guys can you post some links to the articles detailing the updates for 2011??

I just sold my truck so i am in the market and i loves doin my research.

Thanks!

:drool:

There are no links to the changes. i got it word of mouth from Ford's Commercial Manager at the NTEA show. There were many TC's on display in various forms of upfit. I did like the rear pop open windows ont he Taxi that will be available on all XLT wagons next year.

I wish my card reader worked so I could post pics. Might try to pick a new one up tomorrow otherwise will have to wait until Sunday when I get home to post pics. As i get more info youguys will get it before I post on my website; heck the guys I work with still don;t have this info.

There are no links to the changes. i got it word of mouth from Ford's Commercial Manager at the NTEA show. There were many TC's on display in various forms of upfit. I did like the rear pop open windows ont he Taxi that will be available on all XLT wagons next year.

I wish my card reader worked so I could post pics. Might try to pick a new one up tomorrow otherwise will have to wait until Sunday when I get home to post pics. As i get more info youguys will get it before I post on my website; heck the guys I work with still don;t have this info.

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards holding off and seeing what's offered in year 2. Maybe the dealers rejecting my offers is a good thing after all.

The 2011 Order bank is scheduled to open on 4/26/10. Scheduling is scheduled to begin the week of 5/13/10. Production is scheduled to start the week of 8/9/10.

These dates could change by a week or so but they usually are pretty reliable. If production starts when anticipated, we would probably be looking at around the end of Oct to beginning of Nov for the 1st ones to arrive. Also not all new features may be available at Job #1.

As we get closer and I get additional information, I will post.