Ford Transit Connect Forum

My TC RV (almost done)

semperkeith

Hello everyone,

After gathering a lot of ideas from other TC owners all over, I launched on doing my own RV conversion. On my website I have 48 photos with descriptions. After clicking on a thumbnail, If the descriptions don't seem to show, click the little "i" in the circle on the menu bar at the top of the screen. http://semperkeith.com/jalbums/Transit%20Connect%20RV/index.html I still have the sink unit to do and some window screens but the end is near. I am looking forward to road tripping this summer.

Hello everyone,

After gathering a lot of ideas from other TC owners all over, I launched on doing my own RV conversion. On my website I have 48 photos with descriptions. After clicking on a thumbnail, If the descriptions don't seem to show, click the little "i" in the circle on the menu bar at the top of the screen. http://semperkeith.com/jalbums/Transit%20Connect%20RV/index.html I still have the sink unit to do and some window screens but the end is near. I am looking forward to road tripping this summer.

What you've done (and are doing) to your Transit Connect is very cool! I'd love to do something like this and trek across the Trans-Canadian one day.

Where did you get the front grille guard?

Thanks for the kind remarks, yep Bucks lake is nice but alas, the fish were not biting. ;)

Robert Lane - I bought it here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050ZCNB4/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

$169.23 With Cal Tax. I saved some money on the purchase because I signed up for a trial run of Amazon Prime. I plan on dropping it before the trial period ends. Sorry, it is just the cheap in me.

If you get one of these push bars, take special note of the instructions or you will end up fighting the install. As it was, I think my far left (drivers side) bolt is cross threaded, I couldn't get to properly thread, so I let it. One thing for sure, it's tight!

I do like the look of it though.

Cheers, Keith

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone,

Keith,

you did a really nice job with this RV conversion. congrats and thanks for sharing.

your photo album was very helpful in seeing what you did and how you went about. Smart to make mock-ups before cutting material.

Jealous of that nice tall garage you have letting you park your TC indoors. that's really nice.

I hope to do some camping with my beach cruiser TC van, when I get it, so I've had aspirations to do a little customization myself.

Your ingenuity and handiwork are awesome and inspiring.

enjoy your travels!

• 3 months later...

Will do. I'm looking at some cargo side panels to give the sides a finished look and I use a clothes bar across the top where I hook reusable shopping bags full of camping items. The shopping bags will only be temporary but the bar will stay so I can hang up clothes and a couple small backpacks. I put an RV mattress directly on the floor but will make a riser for it where I can slide milk cartons under it. The bed will be four feet wide and extend from the back all the way to the rear of the front seats. I'll post pictures later.

Great, I was planning on doing a real big road trip this year but things didn't gel. Maybe a trip to Coeur d'Alene, ID in Sept if I am lucky. I did manage to do three days of camping on the way to So-Cal and wow, it's pretty tight quarters but a lot better than when I traveled by Harley. The TC seems pretty luxurious compaired to the tent I had. Have fun, k

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html

I used one of these kits to install nuts where I needed them. Could be useful in installing a shelf. With this kit, sorry to say you can't buy the nuts separately but for the price of the entire kit, it is still worth it.

tpro17.jpg

This was my camping outfit before the TC

I have used two different trailers, the first one was a Harbor Freight utility trailer married to a Sears Car Top Carrier. I put many miles on that combination but the second trailer I had was this one. It is a Harbor Freight "Tag a long" http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-78-inch-tag-along-trailer-66771.html A great trailer for the price. If you get one, find a coupon, usually you can find one that will get you at least 20 percent off. On mine, I added an extension to the back so I could carry more stuff and added a big LED strip so I wouldn't get ran into. I also found that if I ran more than 22 psi in the tires, the centers would wear out a lot faster than the rest of the tire. If you get any trailer from HF, be sure to pack the bearings because the amount of grease in them when they arrive is minimal.

I liked the Tag a long the best, mainly because of how the lid hinged with gas shocks. Another suggestion if you are towing a little trailer is making a "chock block/fuel can carrier" the detailed instructions are at this link: http://www.semperkeith.com/projects/chalkblock.html

Have fun, kpost-2532-0-13332000-1406768367_thumb.jppost-2532-0-54987500-1406768401_thumb.jp

Edited by semperkeith

• 2 years later...

@semperkeith 

How has it been having exposed metal in your TC camper when considering insulation and condensation?

I am looking at insulating mine for a camper as well and was thinking about just doing a really solid job on the roof (reflectix, insulation, wood, sealing it with a resin maybe), flooring (reflectix, foam insulation, wood subfloor, 3-in-1 underlayment, vinyl for a more water-resistant wood), and window insulation (sewn pads, essentially reflectix with magnets to hold it in), and keeping the metal on the walls exposed (which I think would be enough for Southern California weather, especially with a little propane heater and/or installed ceiling fan for the more extreme desert days and nights).

Lately though, after reading through slews of insulation how-to posts, I came across one that said that any exposed metal in the van will build condensation from your body heat and eventually rot out all the layers you built into it.  I feel like with my plan for the roof, floor, and windows, that won't be a problem, but was hoping to hear about your experience with no wall insulation as well.

THANK YOU!

• 1 year later...

Super job on the conversion....and some real creative design ideas.  Especially like the adjustable bed front.  Need to think how to incorporate that idea in my already completed interior.  We found sitting on the bed with maybe a cushion backrest worked better than having a table to sit at.....unless one likes to play board games ?

• 4 months later...

Fantastic TC conversion. I have seen your TC on the web better than fifty times and while researching for a design for my 2012 I kept coming back to look closer at what you did. I am still looking and learning. So far I have learned to:

1. Leave the headliner alone. It was designed by professionals for the van. Though it is not fancy it works; I doubt I could design and fabricate something that will look better.

2. Leave as much open floor space as possible - make everything fold up out of the way. You may end up with more floor space than the big vans with all of the cabinets, bathrooms, kitchens and permanent bed platforms eating up every square foot of foot room.

3. Use sheet goods for your cabinetry - they cost $ but use less hardware to become sturdy and rattle free.

4. Repurpose metal framing for the bed frame - I bought some used metal foam mattress foundation frames.

5. Let your upholstery be your insulation and keep it removable so that it can be cleaned and eventually renewed with fresh fabric. Wayfarer vans has a kit that takes this concept to the limit.

I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface of the obvious. These things have been gleaned from pictures of your design. Would you please share with us your wisdom gained from designing and building your van. What to avoid, how to thing about using space and creating storage areas....

Thank you so much for posting the pics and especially the build process. You've taken a different approach from the everything-big-and-built-in crowd. You have a very versatile yet comfortable van with room to move around in bad weather.