Ford Transit Connect Forum

New here

FTCPNW

I bought my TC 2010 in September. I saw it in a magazine and bought one later that day. Sounds impulsive but I had been shopping for a car for over two years and finally something clicked with this vehicle. I did see similar trucks in Europe may years back and always thought it was a perfect sized utilitarian design.

Well now I have about 4K on it. And...I think it's a great van. Basically it's got what you need and not what you don't, and designed to be customized. It's super easy to drive and the fit is very tunable. I was very impressed with how it drives on slick and icy roads because a couple times I didn't know it was icy until I stepped out of the van, no wonder the stock all-season get 5 stars. The van also does well in strong cross winds and corners nicely because of the low center on gravity. The clearance is overall pretty good but I do scrape the front if I take the transition to a steep driveway strait on. I'm 5' 7" so I can walk around in the back and that's a big plus for a vehicle you plan on making into a camper/toy hauler.

I'm sourcing out the stuff to make it a basic camper. I'll insulate and panel it, and build a bed with storage below that can easily be removed. Also I plan on getting an auxiliary battery and inverter set up to run some electronics and recharge stuff. I plan on putting a kayak on the roof so I'll need a rack for that, I'm just trying to figure out the best set up that's easy to load, maybe something with a roller or a ladder.

One thing I didn't expect was all the attention this van gets, people a very curious about it.

Yeah there sure is a lot of interest from the general public. They are blown away when they hear the gas mileage too.

I am also interested in camper modifications, but maybe not as extensive or permanent as you describe. Anyhow, please keep us informed of what you discover. Thanks!