Ford Transit Connect Forum

one suggestion for FoMoCo

After driving my TC for a week, one thing has been quite annoying ... That being having 2 rear door windows, and a rear view mirror that cleanly cannot get a decent view of the traffic behind me thru the pillars where the doors join.

I believe the fix is rather easy ... move the mirror placement about 4-5 inches to the left (on the front windscreen glass) so that the view is a clean shot thru the left-most rear door. For euro right hand drive, this might be a shift to the right 4-5 inches. Of course, if you don't have glass in the back doors, you probably don't have an inside rear view mirror.

If the mirror mount adhesive ever fails (like it used to do on my F150), I will probably try it shifted over to see how it works.

At first I did not like the obscured view through the back window either, but in time I came to appreciate it. It has become fashionable to have the brightest headlights possible and many drivers here also follow very closely, In these circumstances, the blocking provided by the split window is welcome. Once I became used to it, I have no problem determining if there is traffic behind me. It probably sounds strange to you now,but give it some time and you may change your mind as well.

Edited by Willie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

> After driving my TC for a week, one thing has been quite annoying

Oh, man, that's one thing that just bugs the hell out of me, too.
What the hell were they thinking??
Look at the door and the window? There's no reason for it!
I'd just as soon do without the rear window defroster, which I have never used, than tolerate this crap.
I don't know how many times I've had some asshole change lanes rapidly behind me and all of the sudden show up on my left, and I didn't see any of it. Unless I check the other two mirrors in rapid succession.
Damn inconvenient and an outright safety hazard as well.

I was seriously thinking about running a switched 12 volt lead to the rear camera, with a diode between this lead and the existing camera lead, so that the existing power from the backup lights will turn on the camera, too.
It'll be a distorted view, but better than doing nothing.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...