Ford Transit Connect Forum

plastic panel below steering wheel - removal?

Curious1

I have had my TC (2013) for only a few weeks. Since my first drive there has been a loud rattle behind the instrument cluster. In order to provide access to this area I want to remove the panel below the steering wheel, the one that has a smaller integral access panel for a fuse box. My fear is that I will break the plastic trying to remove this panel as I have no clue how it is attached. Also, I have been unable to remove the fuse box cover for the same reason. The plastic does not seem particularly sturdy, like it might break very easily. Does anyone have any experience with this problem.

I'm happy to report that this is the only problem I've found with the TC (it's a Premium Wagon) and it appears to be very well built with well fitting panels inside and out. Drives very well and returns expected gas mileage.

Hello and welcome Curious1. My first thought is to take it back to the dealer for the noise. As for the fuse box cover, you are correct, it feels like it will break when you pull on it. Every owner of a Transit Connect says the same thing! It will come off, just pull very hard! There are two clips along the top that hold it on. The bottom is held in place by two plastic hinges that fit over the bottom edge, so only pull from the top. After what is needed to just get the fuse box cover off, if you still want to remove the steering column trim panel, there are eight of the same type of clips holding it on, plus a screw below the fuse box cover opening. Good Luck.

Thanks for the welcome 103west43rd. First, the reasons I have not taken it to the dealer are, first I was informed I would need to make an appointment a couple of weeks ahead of time and leave the car for three days, second my experience with dealers fixing rattles has never been good although this is the first rattle I've had in a car since the 1970s.

I looked through the small space below the steering wheel today and saw that the fuse box appears to be located a few inches back from the plastic panel, I may be able to solve my problem by reaching through the fuse box cover opening. I'll give it a try before I embark on trying to remove the larger panel.

Thanks very much for your input!

Edited by Curious1

• 11 months later...

I know this post is a year old, but I have a somewhat related noise coming from the dash area. Its a creaking sound that happens when I'm turning or going over uneven pavement. It seems like its coming from the firewall just under the top of the dash, which is next to impossible to reach. Also is there supposed to be some kind of retainer that holds the bottom of the felt cover that goes under the dash by the pedals. I have a dealer installed alarm and the cover just sort of pushes up over some screws and flops around, unlike the passenger side that is tightly restrained by clips.