Ford Transit Connect Forum

Roof vent or side window installation?

purly

Greetings from hot & sweaty central Texas! Just bought a 2010 FTC XLT "wagon" with 24K miles, and am fixing it up for travel to the cooler northeast next week. Have taken out the back seats, as they won't be needed for a good while, and am setting it up for festival/travel camping + equipment storage.

Anyone have wisdom to share re: roof vent installation? The roof profile is challenging, to say the least.

If you have a roof vent, how long has it been in and is it water-tight so far? Suggestions?

Would you recommend a vent cover as well?

Having owned numerous vans in past decades, I've done my own installations in the past, but have decided to pass this one over to the pros this time around. After all, once you have a hole in your roof, you ALWAYS have a hole in your roof!

So far, several local conversion company declined the opportunity to do a vent install.

My van has fixed glass on the side and rear doors. So I'm also considering the possibility of after-market side windows, to the rear of the sliding doors - which would open. I hear Ford gets the most complaints about the ventilation issue for these TCs.

And I'm concerned that my pup will join the choir by the time we get to our destination in New Hampshire.

Thoughts on the topic much appreciated. Nice to have a forum for group-brain!!

post-3650-0-06924800-1373298697_thumb.jp

Purly,

I agree that this is a problem, but have not found a solution acceptable to me.

I do not like the idea of punching a hole in the roof if it can be avoided.

I have seen some sliding windows for the TC but they were super expensive even before installation was included.

Please post up anything new you find.

Willie