Ford Transit Connect Forum

front brake pads almost gone at 9k ??

Dan GSR

• 1 month later...

my TC is used in NYC for stop and go traffic, with 8,800 miles on it

today i did an oil change and tire rotation, and noticed that the front pads were VERY low

is this normal for this car?

are there any alternatives for pads? or only dealer pads available? maybe pads for a focus will fit ??

I drive predominantly highway and have changed pads at 25k and now changing again at 53K, due to pads being at 15%. rotors also being changed due to wear being below spec. no sensors to warn of low pad levels does not lend assistance to maintenance. it appears that front end design of vehicle is placing above norm stress on front brake system. there are no after market parts available at this time and only one manufacturer of rotors. found rotors to be much cheaper purchased at NAPA, as opposed to direct at dealership. it looks like rotors require changing every other brake job. this is crazy!

my TC is used in NYC for stop and go traffic, with 8,800 miles on it

today i did an oil change and tire rotation, and noticed that the front pads were VERY low

is this normal for this car?

are there any alternatives for pads? or only dealer pads available? maybe pads for a focus will fit ??

I drive predominantly highway and have changed pads at 25k and now changing again at 53K, due to pads being at 15%. rotors also being changed due to wear being below spec. no sensors to warn of low pad levels does not lend assistance to maintenance. it appears that front end design of vehicle is placing above norm stress on front brake system. there are no after market parts available at this time and only one manufacturer of rotors. found rotors to be much cheaper purchased at NAPA, as opposed to direct at dealership. it looks like rotors require changing every other brake job. this is crazy!

I first read this topic on here when my van was brand new, and I was worried I would be getting new brakes only a few months into driving it. I have about 22,500 on mine at this point, and brake with what I would probably consider a little bit more aggressive use of the brakes than others (hey it is California). I just got the oil changed at the Ford dealer and they noted there was 6mm left on the front pads and 3mm left on the rear shoes. This required them to check the yellow "might need attention soon" box on the checklist. No mention of rotor wear.

I actually find the braking performance of the vehicle to be quite good, the pedal feel in particular is better than a lot of other Ford products I have driven.

• 1 month later...

I typically haul 800# and run 350 miles a day, 5 days a week with it. Replaced the OEM front pads and resurfaced the rotors at 52,000 miles, (cheap quality pads with excessive dusting). Installed Advance Auto Parts "Wearever Gold" GMKD970 pads. It now has 114,000 miles and these pads are only worn about 40%, (with minimal dusting). Rear brake adjustment is very important on all vehicles. If the rears are not adjusted properly, the fronts will wear out prematurely. The rear brake self adjusters on the TC are not too reliable, (cheap design). The rear brake adjustment needs to be checked and if necessary, the shoes need to be manually adjusted.

Edited by 1oldmaster

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally ended up getting new brakes at about 28,000 miles. Done at the local Ford dealer, and they noted that the pads have a new part # (they had to order them special). He was not able to say why there is a new part #, but my observation so far is there does seem to be less brake dust.

But, I gave up on the ever-thinning black paint on the wheels, and put the stock wheel covers back on. So that might also be a variable regarding reduced brake dust. They also replaced the rotors, apparently they were at or below the minimum specs. At any rate, the brakes feel great. Nice and strong again.

• 3 months later...

Bought my 1st TC lat June,2011. Had my 30,000 mile maintainance done last week and was surprised to be told that my front brake pads are down to a couple of millimeters. I'm used to having a brake job done somewhere at 60 - 80,000 miles on any vehicle I've owned. Came on this forum and saw that this is a common issue. I ordered the Hawk pads to try them out. Saw mostly positive comments here. Will update on performance for everyone, probably in 3-6 months. I do deliveries in and around Austin, and I've put 30,000 on my TC in 6 1/2 months. It won't take me too long to get some idea of how the new pads perform. Thanks for all the info.

Edited by Scotty

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...