Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rear cam and VSS wire

mikejobu

Need to add a rear camera to the work solutions computer screen - is this possible?

Also - Any info on the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) and disabling it so my passenger can type/nav while driving?

THANKS!

(Any info on the wiring for the work solutions computer is what I am asking I guess)

Edited by mikejobu

Hey Mike,

Please be careful regarding the bypass of your system. First, it's dangerous and secondly it's against the law. (don't worry, I'm not a cop)

Your rear camera should be hooked to your reverse sense wire. Not sure if the WSC has a video input to allow you to switch from PC to Back-up cam.

Your VSS wire is used for GPS. They have the GPS disabled during movement due to the location and angle of the screen.

You can find your VSS wire on the transmission. Go to Best Buy and ask one of the guys in the install bay if they can look up the color for you, but it would be wise to test

prior to tapping into it.

JK

Need to add a rear camera to the work solutions computer screen - is this possible?

Also - Any info on the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) and disabling it so my passenger can type/nav while driving?

THANKS!

(Any info on the wiring for the work solutions computer is what I am asking I guess)

• 2 months later...

Why would it be illegal? I dont follow you.

I have an external GPS I use all the time in the car that doesnt even have a VSS hookup.

I will trace the wire and find it in the harness.

Anyone know on camera input?

I found the specs on this system. there is NOT a vss wire btw.

Anyone want info let me kno...

• 6 months later...

I found the specs on this system. there is NOT a vss wire btw.

Anyone want info let me kno...

I am interested in any info on wiring you may have. I have the stereo power and speaker wiring color codes, and where to get a ready to snap in wiring harness and trim plate, but I have a few wires that I can't identify in the audio harness.

Man, I feel your pain. NOBODY is as "OEM-ish" when it comes to improving a vehicle than me. BUT....

The FWS Computer is basically a Windows Mobile/CE PC. To accept video input, it would both need to either be provided in data form (i.e. over USB) or as an analog signal with a peripheral converter - but you'd THEN need software on the system to flip to it when it detect a signal.

Adapting most navigation head units is simpler because they're made to work that way (or they at least have the hardware and require a re-flash to activate). You're going to be FAR happier, I think, using an in-mirror display and just wiring it independent of the FWS PC. Even the 2011 Transit Connect that DOES include a backup camera uses an in-mirror display.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

My speedometer and odometer are dead. I read that the problem can relate to a dead vehicle speed sensor (VSS). I looked under the engine, under the tranny, and couldn't find where the VSS is located. If the VSS is dead, then shouldn't the check engine light turn on?. For my car, there is no check engine or any light turn on. Can anyone detail show me where to locate the VSS on a 2004 ford ranger.thanks