Ford Transit Connect Forum

Speaker options

PetrosA

I've been looking into replacement speakers as well. In my case, there will be a solid bulkhead behind the seats, so rear speakers are not an option. I tried looking at the Crutchfield site where they give you fit/doesn't fit info, but according to them, the Alpines mentioned in the other thread shouldn't work.

I want the best sound I can get with a budget of about $150 max. I'm not against satellite tweeters if that will boost the bass response a little. I've been looking at:

Boston Acoustics SX50 (remote tweeters)

Boston Acoustics SX55 (coaxial)

Alpine SPS 500 (coaxial)

Alpine SPR 13C (coaxial)

as well as a full range Galaxy Audio S5C160-8

I've also seen some Nakamichis and other "hi end" types but it's hard to hear them over the internet ;) It sounds like some of you have a lot more experience than I do with car audio, so I'm open to your suggestions.

Thanks!

I've been looking into replacement speakers as well. In my case, there will be a solid bulkhead behind the seats, so rear speakers are not an option. I tried looking at the Crutchfield site where they give you fit/doesn't fit info, but according to them, the Alpines mentioned in the other thread shouldn't work.

I want the best sound I can get with a budget of about $150 max. I'm not against satellite tweeters if that will boost the bass response a little. I've been looking at:

Boston Acoustics SX50 (remote tweeters)

Boston Acoustics SX55 (coaxial)

Alpine SPS 500 (coaxial)

Alpine SPR 13C (coaxial)

as well as a full range Galaxy Audio S5C160-8

I've also seen some Nakamichis and other "hi end" types but it's hard to hear them over the internet wink.gif It sounds like some of you have a lot more experience than I do with car audio, so I'm open to your suggestions.

Thanks!

PetrosA,

Go to the Alpine website and look up the speaker you are curious about fitting. The SPR13C is what I put in my front doors. The specs for the size/depth are listed there, and if the other one is no deeper, you should be good to go.

Here's what I found for the SPR13C model there:

Woofer Mounting Depth (in): 2-9/32''

The SPS500 is only 2" deep, so it should go as well.

The Boston SX50 is 2.125 - no problem

The Boston SX55 is 2 & 3/16 deep - again, no problem.

I listened to some Infinity speakers as well as Kenwood, Pioneer, Cerwin-Vega and JBL. The Kenwoods were VERY nice for the price.

I noted the same "This item does not fit" statement, but if the sizes are as indicated, they may be wrong about the fit/no fit statement.

I also looked at the "component" type with a seperate tweeter setup, but as I was more looking for "out of sight - out of mind" and didn't want anything to show when looking through the windows. I still have a little work to do on that end - but it is not really that obvious at this point in time. (Photos in the gallery)

Just a couple of points of information..

Check "onlinecarstereo.com" and REALLY get confused! (but some prices are less as well as shipping). I bought all four speakers and the amp there. The sub came from another place - better price for it - The invoice says discount sound, but I can't find the name of the shop. Another source is Hookedontronics.

Crutchfield is quite reputable according to all I read, but they charge more for most everything. As I was looking for deals, I looked elsewhere.

My $.02... Your mileage may vary

Roland C.

Happily Transiting shift.gif

(And listening to nice sounds now..)

Edited by REC

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some $39 Sony 5 1/4 for the doors. They get very loud with an aftermarket head unit. But they have no bass response. I am actually adding some 6 1/2 component speakers behind the driver and passenger seats tonight. I found them at Fry's for $50. They are Crunch believe it or not, and they sounded better than the Infinity 5x7's.

If you have a bulkhead behind the seats, you could just set some speaker boxes right behind the seats.

Purchased these speakers online from Madisound. I've purchased speaker components and parts from them in the past and have been very happy with their products and price. These speakers http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=836 didn't disapoint. Installed today , easy fit and great performance, better than expected for half the price of some of the bigger name speakers. Removing the door panels was a little tricky. I'll try to post pics in a few days. If your local in Ma. and need a hand installing your door speakers send a note. Good luck with your transits.

• 1 year later...

I just installed a pair of Boston Acoustics SX50's and Dynamated the crap out of the doors in my TC and they sound great. You aren't going to get huge bass response out of them given their size though. For that you will have to add a sub. I put a JL Audio 8W1V2, in a box that I built, under that passenger seat and it sounds amazing. Especially considering I used the OEM radio.