Ford Transit Connect Forum

Chrysler to fight Ford compact van with Fiat Doblo

Chrysler to fight Ford compact van with Fiat Doblo

Ford Transit Connect Forum - Chrysler Group's new Ram brand will sell a version of the new Fiat Doblo compact van in the United States.

The Fiat-sourced Ram van will go up against Ford Motor Co.'s Transit Connect, which Ford started selling in the U.S. in July.

Chrysler is separating the Ram pickup range from the Dodge brand and adding Ram-badged vans.

The Doblo will join a large Fiat-based van to be sold in the U.S. by the new Ram truck brand, along with a restyled chassis cab model and light and heavy duty Ram vehicles.

With the new range, Chrysler expects to boost Ram sales to 415,000 by 2014, up from 280,000 in 2010.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE

Bah!

This was announced during Marchione's 8-hour extravaganza detailing the FIATization of Chrysler.

Apart from being uglier than sin, the Doblo's a decided "also ran" in the EU. With the Transit Connect having a full 2-year head-start in defining the segment with a vehicle that's already in its 3rd iteration of refinement, the Doblo won't have a chance, especially once the TC has insinuated itself into North American fleets and Ford develops some sort of local production capability. The Doblo just won't be able to compete. It's going to be the ugly girl at the dance, who's arrived 2 years after everyone went home.

It will be very interesting, however, to see what, if any, response the market has to the Doblo. I personally just don't see it. The Transit Connect "looks the part". It's relevantly-styled and something people can immediately identify for what it is and how they can use it. On the other hand, the Doblo looks like a Multipla got sandwiched between a Mini Clubman and Nissan Cube, with no survivors. All of the aesthetic passion behind Alfa must be directly transfused from every FIAT vehicle (save the 500).

With 2 years of market segment exclusivity, I just can't see the Transit Connect being challenged by a square peg being offered by wounded duck, especially given the fact that it's become so fashionable to own a Ford nowadays.

I can possibly see the Fiat doing better than the Ford among families, but not for work vans. The French have some nice trucks, as does VW, but I don't think we'll be seeing them here any time soon.

About the only real shot FIAT may have with the Doblo for fleet success is if they happen to pursue aggressively the small diesel market that everyone else is overlooking.

On the other hand, it's far more passenger-friendly than the TC, something that's reflected in the Doblo having sold 1M examples to the TC's 600K, (although the Doblo's had a 2-3 year headstart). It's interior is derived from the Punto, and they've gone the extra step of including a 3rd passenger row to make it a true 7-8 seater, something the TC just isn't and won't be. Getting hold of an extra 2-seat bench to stick in the back of the TC would be a real boon for its passenger-carrying credentials; but in truth, Ford already serves that market with the C-Max and Grand C-Max (which is also coming to America soon).

• 9 months later...

The Fiat is probably OK, but I'm highly skeptical that it'll be a serious competitor to the TC.

As far as a 3d row of seats is concerned, I'd rather have the cargo space. And the Ford 2/3 - 1/3 arrangement for the 2nd row seats is brilliant: it enables adjusting passenger capacity by increments of 1, preserving maximum cargo space. (1 passenger, front seat; 2 passengers, front plus 1/3 rear; 3 passengers, front + 2/3 rear; four passengers, front + entire rear).

This after all is primarily a work truck, so any attempts to compete with something that compromises on utilitarian virtues, probably won't fly.

Rear-facing seats: No thanks, every time I ride in a train facing the rear, I get queasy, and I don't think I'm the only one: the kinaesthetic feedback runs opposite of the visual feedback, and the brain interprets that as a symptom of poisoning. The last thing you want in a family vehicle is a back seat full of carsick kids. OTOH, you can get a washable floor mat:-)

And let's not forget the risk of rear-facing kids in back making hand gestures at the drivers behind them, which in this day & age can result in getting shot. Better to keep the kids sitting where Mom or Dad can keep an eye on them and scold them if they make gestures at other drivers.

LOL. As one of six kids, and one who always had the pleasure of riding in the back facing 3rd row of whatever Dodge wagon my Dad had for a family hauler, I won't deny any of your claims. There was always one sister who HAD to sit in front with the parents or would get sick in any other seat. And rather than anger following cars with gestures, the usual goal was to get a wave or honk from them. Most would comply with a smile, as we must have been cute kids for my parents to keep us. Kids will throw up and it is usually because they are sick. They do it often enough in front facing seats now to prove that point.

What WILL prevent rear facing seats are the safety regs. Every kid has to be strapped in with a 5-point harness now, It's amazing we survived at all, since I don't remember seat belts in those 60s era rear seats. We never had a booster seat for sure, but often the small ones were allowed to sit on the thick family dictionary for a higher point of view. I say let kids be kids. If your inclination is to shoot at kids in other cars that make gestures at you, I suggest you seek counciling fast.

• 2 months later...