Ford Transit Connect Forum

Adding Power

madlock

I like how the TC has convenient 12V power access at the rear-end; and there are time when that can be really convenient. However, my needs are much more frequently for 110V A/C for which I intend to install a high-capacity inverter wired directly into the battery/main vehicle power.

Does anyone know how powerful an inverter (in watts) the TC can safely accommodate? I'd also appreciate any placement and mounting suggestions (I'm hopelessly anal about retaining as much of an "OEM look" as possible) that would keep the inverter as concealed as possible yet readily accessible (I'm thinking beneath the driver's seat) without turning the TC into a rolling electric chair.

Many thanks.

I like how the TC has convenient 12V power access at the rear-end; and there are time when that can be really convenient. However, my needs are much more frequently for 110V A/C for which I intend to install a high-capacity inverter wired directly into the battery/main vehicle power.

Does anyone know how powerful an inverter (in watts) the TC can safely accommodate? I'd also appreciate any placement and mounting suggestions (I'm hopelessly anal about retaining as much of an "OEM look" as possible) that would keep the inverter as concealed as possible yet readily accessible (I'm thinking beneath the driver's seat) without turning the TC into a rolling electric chair.

Many thanks.

I think you're going to have to calculate just how much power you need first since how well you can hide yours depends on how large an inverter you need. I'm going a two-inverter route with one 375 W in front for laptop and printer and a larger 1500 W in the rear for various battery chargers or for emergency power for tools. I know from past experience that I'll either need a second battery for the rear inverter (which disconnects from the main battery when the engine is off) or I'll have to keep the engine running when charging more than one battery.

I think you're going to have to calculate just how much power you need first since how well you can hide yours depends on how large an inverter you need. I'm going a two-inverter route with one 375 W in front for laptop and printer and a larger 1500 W in the rear for various battery chargers or for emergency power for tools. I know from past experience that I'll either need a second battery for the rear inverter (which disconnects from the main battery when the engine is off) or I'll have to keep the engine running when charging more than one battery.

My front-of-vehicle power needs are more-than-adequately met by the existing 12V DC and in-dash FWS Computer (if the damn thing ever works), though a pair of 110V AC outlets would always be convenient. Ideally, I'd love to put it in the overhead bin/tray; but beneath the driver's seat may ultimately be the better option.

For the rear of the vehicle, I will be adding a 3000W inverter. One of the many uses they will see is the powering of photo strobes. And while they have their own internal smarts to regulate draw and discharge, they require a steady flow of juice.

As I've dug deeper into the many configuration options, I'm seriously considering Sortimo's "double deck" solution which creates a sort of a raised platform floor that provides convenient storage and rear-facing access, the kind of place that would be great to conceal an inverter absent the need for constant airflow to support an inverter of such magnitude.

Thanks for the input.

My front-of-vehicle power needs are more-than-adequately met by the existing 12V DC and in-dash FWS Computer (if the damn thing ever works), though a pair of 110V AC outlets would always be convenient. Ideally, I'd love to put it in the overhead bin/tray; but beneath the driver's seat may ultimately be the better option.

For the rear of the vehicle, I will be adding a 3000W inverter. One of the many uses they will see is the powering of photo strobes. And while they have their own internal smarts to regulate draw and discharge, they require a steady flow of juice.

As I've dug deeper into the many configuration options, I'm seriously considering Sortimo's "double deck" solution which creates a sort of a raised platform floor that provides convenient storage and rear-facing access, the kind of place that would be great to conceal an inverter absent the need for constant airflow to support an inverter of such magnitude.

Thanks for the input.

This may be overkill for what you want, but here's a link to inverters for utility vehicles. This stuff looks like top of the line:

http://store.versalifteast.com/store/c/25-Power-Inverters.html

• 3 weeks later...

Mad,

The first thing to do is find out what the output amperage of the cars' alternator is. Most cars have between a 120-150amp alternator. (may be more)

Then you need to find out what the amerage draw is on the inverter you choose.

Since the alternator runs your power accessories while the vehicle is running, you should know how much power the car is consuming with ALL the accessories on at the same time. (lights, wipers, radio, a/c) This will give you a surplus amperage to use how you'd like.

Ok.....or, you can just get a standard 110v dc to ac converter and just plug it into a stardard 12 volt "switched" circuit using a cig. lighter plug. Most any converter will work, you just need to ensure the inverter can handle a heavy amp load.

Under the driver seat is a perfect location....flat and very easy to run cable to. (I installed my 4 channel amplifier there)

Sorry for the rant.....hope I didn't confuse....bottom line is, you should have no worries...just remember, the inverter should have the ability to handle higher amperage.

JK

Many thanks.

The Transit Connect comes with a 150 Amp Alternator. I am not an electrical expert but I know we have added inverters up to 500W on other vehicles with smaller alternators. Whoever is doing your install should be able to assist you there.

Edited by isellford

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

So has anyone added at least an 800w inverter? Just picked up our TC yesterday and we have an 800w inverter that we'd like to install. I'm thinking about gettin about 20ft cables, running them through the firewall directly off of the battery, and to the back where i am planning on mounting the inverter. Has anyone had any luck with this? How does it affect the warranty, if at all? Also, is there a good place to go through the firewall?

-Pete

• 5 years later...

If you have the battery's wired together you can drain both and you can get a dead battery. You will be interested in setting up a isolator to charge the battery when the when the engine is running and disconnects after it stops. 

If someone has the directions for this I would be interested in this.