Ford Transit Connect Forum

Stopping Problems

CaptFubar

Got a question for some of the gear heads our there. Our shop has 2 t/c's. Here's the problem. When we stop at a normal rate of deceleration, it's fine. When we stop at a normal rate of deceleration and then the person in front of us slams on their brakes causing us to slam on ours, nothing changes. There is no increase in stopping power, no pumping of the ABS system like you'd expect, nothing. I've been driving for 34 years and never experienced anything like this before. We have a 2010 and a 2011 model. Is there something wrong?

Thanks for any feedback.

Edited by CaptFubar

How does it act exactly? The stopping power doesn't seem to increase when you apply more pressure to the pedal when you have it depressed already, but how does it act when you slam the brakes hard initially? Are the brake pads original? Does the pedal sink deeper under extra pressure?

The front pads on the 2011 have been replaced, it's got 42000 miles on it. The 2010 has more and has had the front and rear breaks done. The problem seems to be if you are in normal slow down mode, then you have to slam on the brakes, there is no increase in braking pressure or stopping force. It caused me to damage the 2011 in a rear end collision.

• 8 years later...

I just totaled my 2011 TC yesterday. Haven't had any sign of brake problems up to 79 K.  No leaks, spongy feeling etc.  On the freeway & traffic stopped suddenly.  I thought I had plenty of room & hit my brakes hard: only 'normal' deceleration ?  Expected it to lock down quickly, leave skid marks...NO!  It decelerated like I was at a routine stop sign. FOUR car pile up.  Thank God no one had injuries.  Thanks for posting about this.  I may be crazy....but not about the brake deceleration!

On 11/12/2021 at 12:22 AM, SWC said:

I just totaled my 2011 TC yesterday. Haven't had any sign of brake problems up to 79 K.  No leaks, spongy feeling etc.  On the freeway & traffic stopped suddenly.  I thought I had plenty of room & hit my brakes hard: only 'normal' deceleration ?  Expected it to lock down quickly, leave skid marks...NO!  It decelerated like I was at a routine stop sign. FOUR car pile up.  Thank God no one had injuries.  Thanks for posting about this.  I may be crazy....but not about the brake deceleration!

Sorry to hear that. Two posts regarding wrecks in one week on this forum. 

Glad you're okay. Good luck sorting that out.