Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rattle/Buzz

hillgrass

I have a rattle/buzz coming from underneath the van whenever I cross a certain low range rpm while pulling away from a stop or climbing a grade. It doesn't do it while I'm parked and revving the engine. It also doesn't occur when I apply the foot brake and mildly rev the engine while in drive. My first impression was that this tinny sound was coming from the heat shield between the body and exhaust. But when I looked underneath I noticed Ford had used a shield more akin to a silver blanket. Kind of flimsy and prone to vibration. I'm not sure if any of you have experienced this same issue or if this is even the cause. It definitely gives the car a low-quality feel for one so new.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue. Took it to the dealer and they checked the heat shields and found no issues. They didn't drive it though. Will make sure they do a test with me in the car next time. I can feel the vibration through the gas pedal. The noise sure sound like a metalic heat shield. Would be curious if any of TC owners have experienced this.

• 1 month later...

NWCamperMan

My Ford dealer also hardly blinked when I brought it up. Why am I not surprised? I do like the van except for this very annoying quality issue. Makes me feel like I'm driving around in an old beater. When you're making a car payment on a $20,000+ vehicle, you expect things to be nice and tight for a while. Aside from that, I enjoy the outside Euro lines, the beautiful simplicity of the dash, and of course the ridiculous amount of cargo room. Admittedly, in the beginning, the engine's lack of oomph grated on my nerves, but I've since adjusted to it and have begun to enjoy wringing it out when it's necessary. It certainly can zip around town and on the highway with a little coaxing. My last road trip, which consisted of quite a bit of heavy throttle, averaging 70-80 mph, garnered me between 27-29 mpg. Not bad. And a surprisingly comfortable highway cruiser.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Replaced the passenger side engine mount as the vibration continued to get much worse. Vibration is much reduced, but not completely gone. I'll probably replace the replace the drivers side mount too. Only about 36k on the van. A bit frustrating. The curse of the Focus engine mount bad design continues.